Computed tomography (CT) in the staging of patients with Hodgkin's Disease: a report on 136 patients.
AffiliationCancer Research Campaign Department of Medical Oncology, Manchester University, and Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOne hundred and thirty-six patients with biopsy proven Hodgkin's disease (HD) had conventional staging investigations and CT carried out at presentation. CT did not detect 20 out of 24 positive spleens and did not detect disease at 16 involved lymph node sites proven at laparotomy. In 60 cases in whom lymphography was performed, CT detected all disease shown by lymphography and showed additional disease in 13 other cases (three within the lymphogram area). In 43 patients CT was the only investigation of the abdomen that could be performed and identified 31 unexpected areas of disease in this group. CT altered the stage of the patients in 16% of cases compared with 8% (lymphography) and 34% (laparotomy). The importance of CT as a baseline investigation for the subsequent monitoring of the complete remission of all known disease is discussed, and the routine use of CT when available as the primary non-invasive staging investigation of the abdomen in HD is recommended.
CitationComputed tomography (CT) in the staging of patients with Hodgkin's Disease: a report on 136 patients. 1980, 31 (2):143-7 Clin Radiol
- Computed tomography of abdomen in staging and clinical management of lymphoma.
- Authors: Best JJ, Blackledge G, Forbes WS, Todd ID, Eddleston B, Crowther D, Isherwood I
- Issue date: 1978 Dec 16
- Lymphography and abdominal computed tomography in staging Hodgkin's disease.
- Authors: Strijk SP, Boetes C, Rosenbusch G, Ruijs JH
- Issue date: 1987 Mar
- Computerised tomographic (CT) abdominal scanning in Hodgkin's disease.
- Authors: Earl HM, Sutcliffe SB, Fry IK, Tucker AK, Young J, Husband J, Wrigley PF, Malpas JS
- Issue date: 1980 Mar
- Priorities for computed tomography and lymphography in the staging and initial management of Hodgkin's disease.
- Authors: Shiels RA, Stone J, Ash DV, Cartwright SC, Close HJ, Worthy TS, Robinson PJ
- Issue date: 1984 Nov
- Radiologic evaluation of subdiaphragmatic spread of Hodgkin's disease.
- Authors: Jonsson K, Karp W, Landberg T, Mortensson W, Tennvall J, Tylén U
- Issue date: 1983