AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Royal Preston Hospital
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPatients with early breast cancer (n = 1022) were treated between March 1970 and October 1975 in a prospective clinical trial. The results are presented after follow-up of 5-10 years. Clinical stage I cancer cases (n = 714) were randomly allocated to treatment by simple mastectomy and postoperative radiotherapy, or simple mastectomy alone. There was no statistically significant difference in overall survival between the two groups. There was a significant reduction in the frequency of local recurrence in those who received early postoperative radiotherapy compared with those who did not. Clinical stage II cancer cases (n = 308) were randomly allocated to treatment by simple mastectomy and postoperative radiotherapy or radical mastectomy alone. There was no statistically significant difference in survival or in the frequency of local recurrence between the two groups.
CitationManchester regional breast study - 5 and 10 year results. 1982, 69 (12):693-6 Br J Surg
JournalBritish Journal of Surgery
- Sector resection with or without postoperative radiotherapy for stage I breast cancer: five-year results of a randomized trial. Uppsala-Orebro Breast Cancer Study Group.
- Authors: Liljegren G, Holmberg L, Adami HO, Westman G, Graffman S, Bergh J
- Issue date: 1994 May 4
- A positive margin is not always an indication for radiotherapy after mastectomy in early breast cancer.
- Authors: Truong PT, Olivotto IA, Speers CH, Wai ES, Berthelet E, Kader HA
- Issue date: 2004 Mar 1
- Eighteen-year results in the treatment of early breast carcinoma with mastectomy versus breast conservation therapy: the National Cancer Institute Randomized Trial.
- Authors: Poggi MM, Danforth DN, Sciuto LC, Smith SL, Steinberg SM, Liewehr DJ, Menard C, Lippman ME, Lichter AS, Altemus RM
- Issue date: 2003 Aug 15
- Local-regional control of recurrent breast carcinoma after mastectomy: does hyperfractionated accelerated radiotherapy improve local control?
- Authors: Ballo MT, Strom EA, Prost H, Singletary SE, Theriault RL, Buchholz TA, McNeese MD
- Issue date: 1999 Apr 1
- Radiotherapy of the chest wall following mastectomy for early-stage breast cancer: impact on local recurrence and overall survival.
- Authors: Janni W, Dimpfl T, Braun S, Knobbe A, Peschers U, Rjosk D, Lampe B, Genz T
- Issue date: 2000 Nov 1