Photoprotection by carotenoids during photosynthesis: motional dependence of intramolecular energy transfer.
AffiliationDepartment of Chemistry, Arizona State University, Tempe 85287
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA new carotenoporphyrin has been prepared in which a synthetic carotenoid is joined to a tetraarylporphyrin through a flexible trimethylene linkage. This molecule exists primarily in an extended conformation with the carotenoid chromophore far from the porphyrin pi-electron system. In benzene solution, where large-amplitude molecular motions are rapid, the molecule can momentarily assume less stable conformations which favor triplet energy transfer, and quenching of the porphyrin triplet by the carotenoid is fast. In a polystyrene matrix or frozen glass such motions are slow, and energy transfer cannot compete with other pathways for depopulating the triplet state. These observations help establish the requirements for biological photoprotection.
CitationPhotoprotection by carotenoids during photosynthesis: motional dependence of intramolecular energy transfer. 1982, 216 (4549):982-4 Science
- Triplet energy transfer between the primary donor and carotenoids in Rhodobacter sphaeroides R-26.1 reaction centers incorporated with spheroidene analogs having different extents of pi-electron conjugation.
- Authors: Farhoosh R, Chynwat V, Gebhard R, Lugtenburg J, Frank HA
- Issue date: 1997 Jul
- Redox functions of carotenoids in photosynthesis.
- Authors: Frank HA, Brudvig GW
- Issue date: 2004 Jul 13
- Artificial photosynthetic reaction centers: mimicking sequential electron and triplet-energy transfer.
- Authors: Palacios RE, Kodis G, Gould SL, de la Garza L, Brune A, Gust D, Moore TA, Moore AL
- Issue date: 2005 Nov 11
- Photoinduced energy and electron-transfer processes in porphyrin-perylene bisimide symmetric triads.
- Authors: Ghirotti M, Chiorboli C, You CC, Würthner F, Scandola F
- Issue date: 2008 Apr 17
- Intramolecular energy-transfer processes in a bis(porphyrin)-ruthenium(II) bis(2,2':6',2''-terpyridine) molecular array.
- Authors: Benniston AC, Harriman A, Pariani C, Sams CA
- Issue date: 2006 May 7