Glycoprotein hormone alpha-subunit secretion in patients with pituitary adenomas: influence of TRH, LRH and bromocriptine.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTwelve patients with pituitary adenomas and increased serum concentration of the glycoprotein hormone alpha-subunit were studied. Eight patients were acromegalic and one had a FSH producing tumour. The adenomas in 9 patients had undergone subtotal operative removal and/or external irradiation but no patient was studied within 3 months of these treatments. Many of the acromegalic patients, with moderately elevated alpha-levels, showed marked increases in alpha-concentration after TRH and/or LRH, compared with controls. The non-acromegalic patients, with the highest alpha-levels, showed poor responses to releasing hormones. These results suggest that excessive alpha-subunit secretion in acromegalic patients is often under hypothalamic control whereas in non-acromegalic patients it is often autonomous. Seven patients, 4 with acromegaly, were then given oral bromocriptine, 5 mg over 3 h. There was a significant fall in log mean alpha-level at 4 and 5 h (P less than 0.02). Six patients took bromocriptine for 1--2 months. Log mean alpha-concentration was significantly reduced at the end of treatment (P less than 0.02) and then recovered to basal levels after stopping treatment for one week. alpha-Subunit hypersecretion in some patients with pituitary adenomas is therefore modulated by dopaminergic control mechanisms.
CitationGlycoprotein hormone alpha-subunit secretion in patients with pituitary adenomas: influence of TRH, LRH and bromocriptine. 1982, 99 (4):487-92 Acta Endocrinol.
- Secretion of glycoprotein hormone alpha-subunit by pituitary tumors.
- Authors: Ishibashi M, Yamaji T, Takaku F, Teramoto A, Fukushima T
- Issue date: 1987 Jun
- Different responses of growth hormone secretion to guanfacine, bromocriptine, and thyrotropin-releasing hormone in acromegalic patients with pure growth hormone (GH)-containing and mixed GH/prolactin-containing pituitary adenomas.
- Authors: Lamberts SW, Klijn JG, van Vroonhoven CC, Stefanko SZ
- Issue date: 1985 Jun
- Glycoprotein hormone alpha subunit secretion by pituitary adenomas: influence of external irradiation.
- Authors: Macfarlane IA, Beardwell CG, Shalet SM, Darbyshire PJ, Hayward E, Sutton ML
- Issue date: 1980 Sep
- Evidence for the release of a novel pituitary polypeptide (7B2) from the growth hormone-producing pituitary adenoma of patients with acromegaly.
- Authors: Natori S, Iguchi H, Nawata H, Kato K, Ibayashi H, Nakagaki H, Chrétien M
- Issue date: 1988 Feb
- Differential response to aminergic stimuli and biological behavior of growth hormone secreting pituitary adenomas.
- Authors: Fanghanel G, Larraza O, Villalobos M, Fanghanel L, Velasco M, Velasco F
- Issue date: 1990 Feb