Studies of lectin binding to normal and neoplastic lymph nodes. II. Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, University of Manchester and Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 9BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFluorescein conjugated lectins have been used as histochemical stains in lymph node sections from 22 patients with non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Variations in the distribution and structure of glycoprotein sequences between the different types of lymphoma, and also normal nodes, have been detected. The lectin-binding patterns of neoplastic lymphocytes of small cell lymphomas, both follicular and diffuse, suggested a predominance of sialylated glycopeptides, as in normal small lymphocytes of the mantle zone of germinal centres. In contrast, the staining patterns of large cell follicular and diffuse lymphomas showed a greater diversity of carbohydrate structure, with enhanced cytoplasmic staining and increased numbers of incomplete oligosaccharide sequences. Heterogeneity of staining, together with reduced sialic acid expression at all cellular sites was a common feature of lymphoblastic lymphomas and seemed to be linked with a poor prognosis. The extracellular matrix of small cell follicular lymphomas showed altered saccharide content, but retained some degree of organization. The large cell follicular lymphomas were characterized by a prominent disorderly matrix, with staining characteristics which suggested shedding of surface membrane from component cells. The loss or disordered production of the normal extracellular matrix may reflect a breakdown of control mechanisms within neoplastic follicles.
CitationStudies of lectin binding to normal and neoplastic lymph nodes. II. Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. 1982, 46 (4):582-92 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Studies of lectin binding to normal and neoplastic lymphoid tissues. I. Normal nodes and Hodgkin's disease.
- Authors: Bramwell VH, Crowther D, Gallagher J, Stoddart RW
- Issue date: 1982 Oct
- Dendritic reticulum cell immunoreactivity for low-affinity nerve growth factor receptor in malignant lymphomas.
- Authors: Dorfman DM, Shahsafaei A
- Issue date: 1996 Oct
- CD40 ligand is constitutively expressed in a subset of T cell lymphomas and on the microenvironmental reactive T cells of follicular lymphomas and Hodgkin's disease.
- Authors: Carbone A, Gloghini A, Gruss HJ, Pinto A
- Issue date: 1995 Oct
- Patterns of spectrin expression in B-cell lymphomas: loss of spectrin isoforms is associated with nodule-forming and germinal center-related lymphomas.
- Authors: Gorman EB, Chen L, Albanese J, Ratech H
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- Immunolocalization of the ICE/Ced-3-family protease, CPP32 (Caspase-3), in non-Hodgkin's lymphomas, chronic lymphocytic leukemias, and reactive lymph nodes.
- Authors: Krajewski S, Gascoyne RD, Zapata JM, Krajewska M, Kitada S, Chhanabhai M, Horsman D, Berean K, Piro LD, Fugier-Vivier I, Liu YJ, Wang HG, Reed JC
- Issue date: 1997 May 15