Quantitation of proliferative and cytotoxic precursor cells directed against human tumours: limiting dilution analysis in peripheral blood and at the tumour site.
AuthorsVose, Brent M
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester, M20 9BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBlood and tumour-infiltrating lymphocytes (TIL) from 16 cancer patients have been examined under limiting dilution conditions to determine the frequency of cells responding in mixed tumour-lymphocyte cultures (MLTC) to autologous tumour and Interleukin-2 (IL-2). Tumour-derived lymphocytes showed a high spontaneous response to IL-2 alone 1/1,900 in TIL; 1/6,000 in PBL suggesting the presence of "activated" T cells in situ. Proliferative frequencies were increased in MLTC in both blood (1/3,779) and TIL (1/1,084). Phenotypic analyses showed that total T-cell contents of the responder populations were comparable but TIL were enriched for the OKT8+ subset with a corresponding reduction in OKT4+. TIL showed increased numbers of OKMI+ and Tac+ lymphocytes. The major cytotoxic precursor expanding under these conditions was reactive against autologous tumour. K562 (NK) were present at a lesser frequency--particularly in TIL. The data show a concentration and activation of reactive lymphocytes at the tumour site and establish conditions for the clonal expansion of specifically cytotoxic T cells.
CitationQuantitation of proliferative and cytotoxic precursor cells directed against human tumours: limiting dilution analysis in peripheral blood and at the tumour site. 1982, 30 (2):135-42 Int J Cancer
JournalInternational Journal of Cancer
- Clonal and frequency analyses of tumor-infiltrating T lymphocytes from human solid tumors.
- Authors: Miescher S, Whiteside TL, Moretta L, von Fliedner V
- Issue date: 1987 Jun 1
- In search of specific cytotoxic T lymphocytes infiltrating or accompanying human ovarian carcinoma.
- Authors: Apiranthitou-Drogari M, Paganin C, Bernasconi S, Losa G, Maneo A, Colombo N, Mantovani A, Allavena P
- Issue date: 1992
- Specific cytotoxicity against autologous tumour and proliferative responses of human lymphocytes grown in interleukin 2.
- Authors: Vose BM, Bonnard GD
- Issue date: 1982 Jan 15
- Tumour-reactive lymphocytes stimulated in mixed lymphocyte and tumour culture. Clonal analysis of effector cells in cytotoxic and proliferative assays.
- Authors: Vose BM, White W
- Issue date: 1983