Cell death (apoptosis) in the mouse small intestine after low doses: effects of dose-rate, 14.7 MeV neutrons, and 600 MeV (maximum energy) neutrons.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester, M20 9BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe production of dead (apoptotic) cells by low doses of gamma-rays was independent of dose-rate between 0.27 and 450 cGy per min. The r.b.e. for doses of 14.7 MeV neutrons between 1 and 15 cGy was about 4, and for neutrons generated by bombarding a beryllium target with 600 MeV protons the r.b.e. was about 2.7. The dose-incidence curves for all three radiation types reached a plateau at about 3-4 dead cells per crypt section, and this occurred at about 20-40 cGy of gamma-rays. These curves are compatible with exponential survival of the cell population at risk (D0 of 24 cGy for gamma-rays, 6 cGy for 14.7 MeV neutrons and 9 cGy for 600 MeV neutrons). Since the dose-response is exponential there is no indication of much higher r.b.e. values at very low doses, a point of concern in radiation protection. The spatial distribution of dead cells in the crypt was similar after doses of gamma-rays or neutrons, indicating that the same population of target cells was affected in both cases.
CitationCell death (apoptosis) in the mouse small intestine after low doses: effects of dose-rate, 14.7 MeV neutrons, and 600 MeV (maximum energy) neutrons. 1982, 42 (6):611-20 Int. J Radiat Biol Relat Stud Phys Chem Med
JournalInternational Journal of Radiation Biology and Related Studies in Physics, Chemistry, and Medicine
- Hair medullary cell counts following low-dose-rate gamma- and high-energy neutron irradiation.
- Authors: Potten CS
- Issue date: 1993 Jan
- Cell death (apoptosis) in mouse intestine after continuous irradiation with gamma rays and with beta rays from tritiated water.
- Authors: Ijiri K
- Issue date: 1989 Apr
- Effects of low-dose neutrons applied at reduced dose rate on human melanoma cells.
- Authors: Dionet C, Tchirkov A, Alard JP, Arnold J, Dhermain J, Rapp M, Bodez V, Tamain JC, Monbel I, Malet P, Kwiatkowski F, Donnarieix D, Veyre A, Verrelle P
- Issue date: 2000 Oct
- The re-establishment of hypersensitive cells in the crypts of irradiated mouse intestine.
- Authors: Ijiri K, Potten CS
- Issue date: 1984 Nov
- Effects of single and split doses of cobalt-60 gamma rays and 14 MeV neutrons on mouse stem cell spermatogonia.
- Authors: Hacker-Klom UB, Köhnlein W, Göhde W
- Issue date: 2000 Dec