Ultrastructural aspects of erythropoietic differentiation in long-term bone marrow culture.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester, M20 9BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLong-term liquid cultures of mouse bone marrow produce stem cell (CFU-S) and differentiated granulocytes for many months. Addition of AMS (anaemic mouse serum) to the cultures almost entirely eliminates the granulopoietic activity and stimulates erythropoiesis, with full erythroid maturation and the production of adult haemoglobin. Ultrastructural analysis of in situ fixed material reveals the cell shape and surface morphology of the erythroid maturation series, and the generation of erythroblastic islands in vitro. Each erythroblastic island consists of one or more synchronously maturing cohorts of erythroid cells undergoing four or five divisions between proerythroblast and normoblast. Each island is centered on a macrophage, which interacts with the developing erythroid population in several ways. Expelled nuclei are phagocytosed by te macrophage, which also has large areas of closely apposed membrane with the erythroid cells, gap junctions, and possible reciprocal vesicular activity. Changes in the adherent layer (stromal cells) also occur with the transition from granulopoiesis to erythropoiesis. There is a reduction in the endothelial cell cover, and mobilisation of lipid from the granulopoietic associated apidocytes.
CitationUltrastructural aspects of erythropoietic differentiation in long-term bone marrow culture. 1982, 21 (2):86-94 Differentiation
- Long term bone marrow cultures: an ultrastructural review.
- Authors: Allen TD, Dexter TM
- Issue date: 1983
- Long-term culture of murine erythropoietic progenitor cells in the absence of an adherent layer.
- Authors: Wendling F, Shreeve MM, McLeod DL, Axelrad AA
- Issue date: 1983 Oct 13-19
- Cellular interactions in erythroblastic islands in long-term bone marrow cultures, as studied by time-lapse video.
- Authors: Allen TD, Testa NG
- Issue date: 1991
- Molecular and cell biologic aspects of erythropoiesis in long-term bone marrow cultures.
- Authors: Dexter TM, Testa NG, Allen TD, Rutherford T, Scolnick E
- Issue date: 1981 Oct
- The role of spatial organization of cells in erythropoiesis.
- Authors: Eymard N, Bessonov N, Gandrillon O, Koury MJ, Volpert V
- Issue date: 2015 Jan