Potentiation of cell killing by inhibitors of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase in four rodent cell lines exposed to N-methyl-N-nitrosourea or UV light.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester, M20 9BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe sensitivities (Do-values) of the cytotoxic effect of MNU on four rodent cell lines were: mouse L1210, 0.07 mM; rat Yoshida sarcoma, 0.52 mM; Chinese hamster V79A, 0.70 mM and the UV sensitive, X-ray sensitive V79/79, 0.35 mM. The abilities of maximum non-toxic doses of the poly-(ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibitors, 5-methyl nicotinamide (5MeN), 3-methoxybenzamide (3MBA) and caffeine to potentiate this cytotoxicity and that of UV light in V79A and V79/79 was measured. The degree of potentiation (ratio Do without inhibitor/Do with inhibitor) was both agent and cell line dependent. In general the lymphoid cell lines L1210 and YS showed greater potentiation, up to 4-fold, than did the fibroblast lines V79A and V79/79. The use of inhibitors in pairs suggested that 5MeN and 3MBA affect one process whereas caffeine affects additional processes. The data provide further support for a role for poly(ADP-ribose) in DNA repair, but indicate that metabolic factors may modify the effectiveness of individual inhibitors of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase in different cell lines.
CitationPotentiation of cell killing by inhibitors of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase in four rodent cell lines exposed to N-methyl-N-nitrosourea or UV light. 1982, 38 (3):325-38 Chem Biol Interact
- The enhancement of cytotoxicity of N-methyl-N-nitrosourea and of gamma-radiation by inhibitors of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase.
- Authors: Nduka N, Skidmore CJ, Shall S
- Issue date: 1980 Apr
- The influence of inhibitors of poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase on X-ray-induced potentially lethal damage repair.
- Authors: Brown DM, Evans JW, Brown JM
- Issue date: 1984
- Poly (ADP-ribose) metabolism in alkylated mouse L5178Y cells.
- Authors: Boyle JM
- Issue date: 1985 Jul
- Effects of 5-methylnicotinamide on mouse L1210 cells exposed to N-methyl-N-nitrosourea: mutation induction, formation and removal of methylation products in DNA, and unscheduled DNA synthesis.
- Authors: Durrant LG, Margison GP, Boyle JM
- Issue date: 1981
- Inhibitors of poly(ADP-ribose) synthetase enhance the cytotoxicity of 42 degrees C and 45 degrees C hyperthermia in cultured Chinese hamster cells.
- Authors: Nagle WA, Moss AJ Jr
- Issue date: 1983 Nov