Effects of carcinogens and partial hepatectomy upon the hepatic O6-methylguanine repair system in mice.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, CHristie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester, M20 9BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe enhanced repair of O6-methylguanine from hepatic DNA in rats is a well established phenomenon that can be induced by pretreatment with a variety of hepatotoxic agents as well as by partial hepatectomy. Attempts to induce a similar hepatic response by treatment with single doses of aflatoxin B1 in C57Bl mice, single doses of dimethylnitrosamine (DMN) in C57Bl or BALB/C mice or by prolonged pretreatment with DMN by addition to the drinking water of C57Bl mice were uniformly unsuccessful. Furthermore, the intense proliferative response induced by two-thirds partial hepatectomy in C57Bl mice was also apparently incapable of increasing the activity of this repair function. These experiments, in which repair of O6-methylguanine has been determined both in vivo after administration of [14C]DMN and in vitro using crude tissue extracts and a methylated DNA substrate, indicate the presence of an intergeneric difference between rats and mice with respect to this repair function.
CitationEffects of carcinogens and partial hepatectomy upon the hepatic O6-methylguanine repair system in mice. 1982, 3 (11):1247-54 Carcinogenesis
- Repair of O6-methylguanine in rat liver DNA is enhanced by pretreatment with single or multiple doses of aflatoxin B1.
- Authors: Chu YH, Craig AW, O'Connor PJ
- Issue date: 1981 Jun
- Stability and capacity of dimethylnitrosamine-induced O6-methylguanine repair system in rat liver.
- Authors: Montesano R, Brésil H, Planche-Martel G, Margison GP, Pegg AE
- Issue date: 1983 Dec
- Enhanced repair of O6-alkylguanine in mammalian tissues.
- Authors: Margison GP, Cooper DP, Smith RA, Montesano R, Bresil H, Planche-Martel G, O'Connor PJ
- Issue date: 1984
- Effect of partial hepatectomy on removal of O6-methylguanine from alkylated DNA by rat liver extracts.
- Authors: Pegg AE, Perry W, Bennett RA
- Issue date: 1981 Jul 1
- Modulation of repair of O6-methylguanine in parenchymal and nonparenchymal liver cells of rats treated with dimethylnitrosamine.
- Authors: Planche-Martel G, Likhachev A, Wild CP, Montesano R
- Issue date: 1985 Oct