Long-term bone-marrow damage in children treated for ALL: evidence from in vitro colony assays (GM-CFC and CFUF).
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have studied granulocyte-macrophage progenitor cells (GM-CFC) in serial bone marrow aspirates from 43 children who had been treated for acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL). All patients were in full remission, not receiving anti-leukaemic therapy and 42 out of the 43 had normal peripheral blood counts. Thirty-seven patients have received standard amounts of chemotherapy and 6 have received additional therapy for relapses occurring in the first treatment-free interval. In the former group estimation of GM-CFC incidence did not provide evidence of long-term residual bone-marrow damage. In the latter, however, the mean incidence of GM-CFC was significantly reduced. This reduction was also apparent when the incidence of GM-CFC was related to the incidence of non-haemopoietic progenitor cells within the marrow (CFU-F).
CitationLong-term bone-marrow damage in children treated for ALL: evidence from in vitro colony assays (GM-CFC and CFUF). 1982, 46 (6):918-23 Br J Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Serial incidence of bone marrow GM-CFC prior to the development of acute non-lymphoblastic leukaemia in a child treated for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Haworth C, Stevens RF, Testa NE
- Issue date: 1985 Jan
- Efficacious but insidious: a retrospective analysis of fludarabine-induced myelotoxicity using long-term culture-initiating cells in 100 follicular lymphoma patients.
- Authors: Janikova A, Koristek Z, Vinklarkova J, Pavlik T, Sticha M, Navratil M, Kral Z, Vasova I, Mayer J
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Haemopoietic patterns of acute leukaemia in remission: CFU-E and CFU-GM colony formation.
- Authors: Eridani S, Sawyer B, Batten E
- Issue date: 1983
- Bone marrow fibroblastoid colony-forming cells (F-CFC) in aplastic anaemia: colony growth and stimulation of granulocyte-macrophage colony-forming cells (GM-CFC).
- Authors: Gordon MY, Gordon-Smith EC
- Issue date: 1981 Nov
- Morphologic, immunophenotypic and in vitro growth characteristics of blood and bone marrow associated with stem cell mobilisation in patients with lymphoma.
- Authors: Ghielmini M, Marangoni G, Pampallona S, Tamasy P, Cavalli F
- Issue date: 2000 Jul