The relative spatial distribution of erythroid progenitor cells (BFUe and CFUe) in the normal mouse femur.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, CHristie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester, M20 9BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFemoral mouse bone marrow cells were separated into axial and marginal fractions, in order to investigate the relative concentration of erythroid progenitor cells (BFUe and CFUe) with respect to their location across the diameter of the femur. Two areas of high incidence of early progenitor cells (BFUe) were identified: one lying near the bone surface with a peak at about 410 micrometers radial distance from the axis of the bone; the other nearer the centre of the bone with a peak at about 270 micrometers. The more immature BFUe were found in higher proportion in the marginal peak. In contrast, CFUe, apart from very low concentration values in the vicinity of the bone surface, demonstrated a fairly uniform distribution throughout the marrow. The present results indicate that the distribution of erythroid progenitor cells within the bone marrow is not random. The haemopoietic tissue seems to exhibit a well-defined structure that may be relevant in regulating proliferation and differentiation processes.
CitationThe relative spatial distribution of erythroid progenitor cells (BFUe and CFUe) in the normal mouse femur. 1982, 15 (4):447-55 Cell Tissue Kinet
JournalCell and Tissue Kinetics
- The regeneration of stem cells after a bone marrow depression induced by thiamphenicol.
- Authors: Nijhof W, Wierenga PK, Goldwasser E
- Issue date: 1982 Jan
- Characterization of multiple erythroid progenitors available in large quantity from rabbit marrow.
- Authors: Salvado AJ, Sytkowski AJ
- Issue date: 1981 Jul
- The mechanism of expansion of late erythroid progenitors during erythroid regeneration: target cells and effects of erythropoietin and interleukin-3.
- Authors: Umemura T, Papayannopoulou T, Stamatoyannopoulos G
- Issue date: 1989 May 15
- A study of erythroid progenitor cells in the bone marrow of Gambian children with falciparum malaria.
- Authors: Abdalla SH, Wickramasinghe SN
- Issue date: 1988
- Characterization of marrow stromal (fibroblastoid) cells and their association with erythropoiesis.
- Authors: Werts ED, DeGowin RL, Knapp SK, Gibson DP
- Issue date: 1980 Apr