Continuous in vitro generation of multipotential stem cell clones from src-infected cultures.
AffiliationDepartment of Experimental Haematology, Paterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester M20 9BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA molecular recombinant of Rous sarcoma virus and murine amphotropic leukaemia virus, src(MoMuLV), where the avian src oncogene has been placed under the influence of a murine virus promoter sequence, has been reported. Infection of long-term marrow cultures with this virus led to a dramatic change in the relative numbers of stem cells, granulocyte-macrophage progenitor cells and mature cells found in normal haematopoietic cell development. However, although the balance between self-renewal, differentiation and development was disturbed, injection of the cultured cells into irradiated syngeneic recipients did not lead to the development of leukaemia. Thus, although the control had been 'loosened', the host regulatory mechanisms were sufficient to impose a restraint on unlimited growth of the cells. We now show that the stem cells from the src-infected cultures show a remarkably increased capacity for self-renewal in vitro in situations which are inimical to the maintenance of self-renewal in normal uninfected stem cells and that self-renewal/differentiation can be modified by the culture conditions.
CitationContinuous in vitro generation of multipotential stem cell clones from src-infected cultures., 310 (5974):228-30 Nature
- Effect of src infection on long-term marrow cultures: increased self-renewal of hemopoietic progenitor cells without leukemia.
- Authors: Boettiger D, Anderson S, Dexter TM
- Issue date: 1984 Mar
- Altered stem cell (CFU-S) function following infection of hematopoietic cells with a virus carrying V-src.
- Authors: Boettiger D, Dexter TM
- Issue date: 1986 Feb
- Effects of murine leukemia virus infection on long-term hematopoiesis in vitro emphasized by increased survival of bone marrow cultures derived from BALB/Mo mice.
- Authors: Greenberger JS, Shadduck RK, Jaenisch R, Waheed A, Sakakeeny MA
- Issue date: 1981 Sep
- Haemopoietic stem cells and the problem of self-renewal.
- Authors: Dexter TM, Spooncer E, Schofield R, Lord BI, Simmons P
- Issue date: 1984
- Retroviral src gene expression in continuous marrow culture increases the self-renewal capacity of multilineage hematopoietic stem cells.
- Authors: Ohta M, Anklesaria P, Wheaton M, Ohara A, Pierce JH, Holland CA, Greenberger JS
- Issue date: 1989 Mar