Ovarian cancer antigen CA125: a prospective clinical assessment of its role as a tumour marker.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories and Radiotherapy Department, CHristie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSerum CA 125, quantified by an immunoradiometric assay employing the monoclonal antibody 0C125 was found to be elevated in 48/58 (83%) of patients with established ovarian cancer. All histological types of carcinoma were antigen positive and there was a positive correlation between the frequency and level of serum CA125 and body burden of tumour. Twenty patients undergoing chemotherapy had serial CA125 estimations following a prospective protocol. Variation in CA125 level reflected disease progression or regression in 21/23 instances. Three of 9 patients tested showed an acute elevation of CA125 in the first week following chemotherapy and this effect predicted a good response to treatment. The natural half-life of CA125 in serum was estimated at approximately 4.8 days, sufficiently short to allow changes in tumour volume to be rapidly reflected by a change in circulating antigen level. Although none of 15 patients with non-Hodgkin lymphoma demonstrated antigen levels outside the normal range, 11/27 patients with non-ovarian adenocarcinoma showed elevated CA125 levels, a specificity of 58% for this latter group. The value of CA125 in the management of ovarian malignancy is discussed.
CitationOvarian cancer antigen CA125: a prospective clinical assessment of its role as a tumour marker. 1984, 50 (6):765-9 Br J Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- The clinical value of serum CA125 levels in ovarian cancer patients receiving platinum therapy.
- Authors: Fish RG, Shelley MD, Maughan T, Rocker I, Adams M
- Issue date: 1987 Jun
- Evaluation of two new assays for tumor-associated antigens, CASA and OSA, found in the serum of patients with epithelial ovarian carcinoma--comparison with CA125.
- Authors: McGuckin MA, Layton GT, Bailey MJ, Hurst T, Khoo SK, Ward BG
- Issue date: 1990 May
- [Clinical evaluation of specificity of serum CA125 as a tumor marker of ovarian carcinoma].
- Authors: Iwasaka T, Ohkuma Y, Yoshimura T, Sugimori H
- Issue date: 1986 Jun
- The clinical significance of pre-operative serum CA 125 in ovarian cancer.
- Authors: Cruickshank DJ, Fullerton WT, Klopper A
- Issue date: 1987 Jul
- Relationship of serum CA125 and lipid-associated sialic acid tumor-associated antigen levels to the disease status of patients with gynecologic malignancies.
- Authors: Stratton JA, Rettenmaier MA, Phillips HB, Herabutya S, DiSaia PJ
- Issue date: 1988 Jan