Lack of binding of serum glycoprotein hormone alpha subunit to concanavalin A-Sepharose reflects increased branching of the oligosaccharide chains.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories and Radiotherapy Department, CHristie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe lectin-binding properties of serum alpha subunit were studied by lectin affinity chromatography. Normal individuals and most patients with pituitary tumours produced alpha subunit which bound specifically to Concanavalin A-Sepharose (Con A). Some patients with pituitary tumours produced both Con A-reactive alpha subunit and alpha subunit which did not bind to Con A. Concanavalin A-Sepharose-binding alpha subunit from all sources bound strongly to Ricinus communis agglutinin-Sepharose after treatment with neuraminidase. Serum alpha subunit from those patients with pituitary tumours, which did not bind to Con A, bound to wheat germ agglutinin-Sepharose, exhibiting both weakly binding and strongly binding forms. Serum alpha subunit from both patients and controls, which did bind to Con A, showed only weak affinity for wheat germ agglutinin-Sepharose. Neither the low affinity nor the high affinity of serum alpha subunit from any source for wheat germ agglutinin-Sepharose was affected by neuraminidase. These findings show that (a) the predominant pattern of glycosylation of serum alpha subunit from normal controls is a Con A-reactive, biantennate complex oligosaccharide and (b) that the structural alteration which results in serum alpha subunit which does not bind to Con A in some patients with pituitary tumours is not an absence of carbohydrate, rather the alpha subunit contains highly branched, either complex or hybrid oligosaccharides.
CitationLack of binding of serum glycoprotein hormone alpha subunit to concanavalin A-Sepharose reflects increased branching of the oligosaccharide chains. 1984, 103 (1):111-6 J Endocrinol
JournalThe Journal of Endocrinology
- Variation in the core and branch carbohydrate sequences of serum glycoprotein hormone alpha subunit as determined by lectin affinity chromatography.
- Authors: Chapman AJ, Gallagher JT, Beardwell CG, Shalet SM
- Issue date: 1984 Oct
- Analysis of the oligosaccharides on rat androgen-binding protein using serial lectin chromatography.
- Authors: Danzo BJ, Black JH
- Issue date: 1990 Aug
- Unique binding pattern to concanavalin A lectin of glycoprotein hormones alpha-subunit hypersecreted by non-functioning pituitary adenomas.
- Authors: Asteria C, Persani L, Ferrari M, Beck-Peccoz P
- Issue date: 1997 Dec
- Evidence that lectin-binding sites are present on the surface of isolated hypothalamic granules containing luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone.
- Authors: Barnea A, Cho G
- Issue date: 1982 Nov
- Glycoprotein characteristics of the sodium channel saxitoxin-binding component from mammalian sarcolemma.
- Authors: Cohen SA, Barchi RL
- Issue date: 1981 Jul 20