Variation in the core and branch carbohydrate sequences of serum glycoprotein hormone alpha subunit as determined by lectin affinity chromatography.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories and Radiotherapy Department, CHristie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSerum alpha subunits from patients with pituitary tumours and from normal controls were studied for their ability to bind to Lens culinaris agglutinin-Sepharose (LCA), L-phytohaemagglutinin-agarose (L-PHA) and soybean agglutinin-Sepharose (SBA). Serum alpha subunits from normal controls which had previously been shown to bind to Concanavalin A-Sepharose (Con A) were not retained by LCA. In contrast, Con A-reactive alpha subunits from patients with pituitary tumours bound specifically to LCA. Non-Con A-reactive alpha subunits from patients with pituitary tumours were also largely not bound to LCA, but were retained by L-PHA. No alpha subunits from any source bound to SBA. These results indicate that the structural alterations resulting in non-Con A-reactive serum alpha subunits include highly branched complex oligosaccharides in addition to the hybrid-type glycans previously described. The increased branching appears to be associated with fucosylation in the core region of the oligosaccharides. Serum alpha subunit from any source appears to be devoid of terminal N-acetylgalactosamine residues. These structural modifications may be related to the variable biological activity of alpha subunit which has been reported.
CitationVariation in the core and branch carbohydrate sequences of serum glycoprotein hormone alpha subunit as determined by lectin affinity chromatography. 1984, 103 (1):117-22 J Endocrinol
JournalThe Journal of endocrinology
- Lack of binding of serum glycoprotein hormone alpha subunit to concanavalin A-Sepharose reflects increased branching of the oligosaccharide chains.
- Authors: Chapman AJ, Gallagher JT, Beardwell CG, Shalet SM
- Issue date: 1984 Oct
- Glycosylation changes in human chorionic gonadotropin and free alpha subunit as gestation progresses.
- Authors: Skarulis MC, Wehmann RE, Nisula BC, Blithe DL
- Issue date: 1992 Jul
- Unique binding pattern to concanavalin A lectin of glycoprotein hormones alpha-subunit hypersecreted by non-functioning pituitary adenomas.
- Authors: Asteria C, Persani L, Ferrari M, Beck-Peccoz P
- Issue date: 1997 Dec
- Purification of beta-core fragment from pregnancy urine and demonstration that its carbohydrate moieties differ from those of native human chorionic gonadotropin-beta.
- Authors: Blithe DL, Akar AH, Wehmann RE, Nisula BC
- Issue date: 1988 Jan