Is laparotomy for small bowel obstruction justified in patients with previously treated malignancy?
AffiliationChristie Hospital, Wilmslow Road,Manchester, M20, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report 53 patients who developed small bowel obstruction some time after the treatment of a primary malignant tumour. Previous treatment of the primary tumour in these patients had been by abdominal surgery (22 patients) or pelvic radiotherapy (20 patients) but 11 of the patients had not received previous abdominal surgery or radiotherapy. All the patients had a laparotomy in an attempt to relieve the obstruction. Seventeen patients had a cause for the obstruction other than secondary malignancy. This was noted particularly when the patients had had pelvic radiotherapy, when radiation change of the ileum causing obstruction was common. Thirty-six patients had obstruction due to secondary tumour and it was found possible to overcome the obstruction in all but two of these. The operative mortality in the patients with secondary malignancy was 19 per cent, but 15 patients (42 per cent) survived for more than a year and the median survival was 11 months. It is concluded that a policy of aggressive surgical intervention is desirable in patients who develop small bowel obstruction after previous treatment for malignant disease.
CitationIs laparotomy for small bowel obstruction justified in patients with previously treated malignancy? 1984, 71 (12):933-5 Br J Surg
JournalThe British Journal of Surgery
- Surgical palliation of small bowel obstruction due to metastatic carcinoma.
- Authors: Aranha GV, Folk FA, Greenlee HB
- Issue date: 1981 Mar
- Immediate postlaparotomy small bowel obstruction: a 16-year retrospective analysis.
- Authors: Fraser SA, Shrier I, Miller G, Gordon PH
- Issue date: 2002 Sep
- Effect of postoperative radiotherapy on the development of small bowel obstruction in patients undergoing staging laparotomy for Hodgkin's disease.
- Authors: Morris DM, Coleman JJ, Slawson RG, Coker DD, Wiernik PH
- Issue date: 1985 Dec
- Early postoperative small-bowel obstruction: a prospective evaluation in 242 consecutive abdominal operations.
- Authors: Ellozy SH, Harris MT, Bauer JJ, Gorfine SR, Kreel I
- Issue date: 2002 Sep
- [Celioscopic treatment of small intestine obstructions].
- Authors: Saudemont A, Dewailly S, Denimal F, Quandalle P, Forget AP, Gambiez L
- Issue date: 1999