Radiation exposure to patients during radiological examinations of the gastro-intestinal tract: intrahospital dose variations.
AuthorsTole, N M
AffiliationRegional Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSkin and gonad doses have been measured in 144 adult patients undergoing barium meal and barium enema examinations at a University Teaching Hospital. Intrahospital variations are discussed and their implications for national dose surveys considered. It is suggested that, due to differences in leakage and scattered radiation levels, overcouch tube machines may deliver higher doses to organs outside the useful beam than undercouch units. The study also points towards increased film consumption in GIT studies.
CitationRadiation exposure to patients during radiological examinations of the gastro-intestinal tract: intrahospital dose variations. 1984, 57 (676):297-301 Br J Radiol
JournalThe British Journal of Radiology
- Patient doses from barium meal and barium enema examinations and potential for reduction through proper set-up of equipment.
- Authors: Yakoumakis E, Tsalafoutas IA, Sandilos P, Koulentianos H, Kasfiki A, Vlahos L, Proukakis C
- Issue date: 1999 Feb
- [Gonad doses in radiological examinations of the colon (author's transl)].
- Authors: Radtke I, Angerstein W, König W, Menzel B
- Issue date: 1979
- [Radiation-risk in roentgendiagnostic of the gastro-intestinal tract (author's transl)].
- Authors: Vogel H
- Issue date: 1979 Jun
- Absorbed doses to patients and personnel from endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatographic (ERCP) examinations.
- Authors: Cohen G, Brodmerkel GJ Jr, Lynn S
- Issue date: 1979 Mar
- [The absorbed dose to the gonads in adult patients undergoing defecographic study by digital or traditional radiographic imaging].
- Authors: Zonca G, De Thomatis A, Marchesini R, Sala S, Bozzini B, Cozzi G, Milella M, Salvetti M
- Issue date: 1997 Nov