Analysis of x-ray computed tomography images using the noise power spectrum and autocorrelation function.
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Physics & Bioengineering, Christie Hospital & Holt Radium Institute, Wilmslow Road, Withington, Manchester, M20 9BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA discrete representation of the reconstruction process, consistent with the method of data collection, has been used to derive expressions for the noise power spectrum, autocorrelation function and noise equivalent quanta (NEQ) of a computed tomography (CT) image. These parameters have been expressed in terms of basic scanning factors such as tube current, exposure time, slice width and number of detectors. Each of these factors affects the overall magnitude of the noise power spectrum, but the spatial frequency dependence is also determined by the type of reconstruction filter used in the computer algorithm. The noise power spectrum has been calculated for scanners employing either a ramp or Hanning weighted ramp filter. Predictions made from this theoretical analysis have been compared with experimental measurements made on various CT scanners. Measurements were made of the modulation transfer function (MTF) by techniques which permitted us to deduce the contributions of the algorithmic and non-algorithmic components to the overall MTF. NEQ values have been calculated for a number of CT scanners.
CitationAnalysis of x-ray computed tomography images using the noise power spectrum and autocorrelation function. 1984, 29 (11):1343-52 Phys Med Biol
JournalPhysics in Medicine and Biology
- Noise and contrast detection in computed tomography images.
- Authors: Faulkner K, Moores BM
- Issue date: 1984 Apr
- The noise power spectrum in computed X-ray tomography.
- Authors: Riederer SJ, Pelc NJ, Chesler DA
- Issue date: 1978 May
- Application of the noise power spectrum in modern diagnostic MDCT: part I. Measurement of noise power spectra and noise equivalent quanta.
- Authors: Boedeker KL, Cooper VN, McNitt-Gray MF
- Issue date: 2007 Jul 21
- Characteristics and clinical application of a treatment simulator with Ct-option.
- Authors: Verellen D, Vinh-Hung V, Bijdekerke P, Nijs F, Linthout N, Bel A, Storme G
- Issue date: 1999 Mar
- [The evaluation of the physical characteristics of a volumetric computer tomograph].
- Authors: Crespi A, Leoni S, Montanari G, Paruccini N, Pedroli G, Grimaldi M, Salvini E
- Issue date: 1996 Apr