Steroid-hormone receptors and survival after first relapse in breast cancer.
Barnes, Diana M
Harland, R N
Bramwell, Vivien H C
Wilkinson, M J
Sellwood, R A
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology and Clinical Rresearch, Christie Hospital, Manchester, M20 9BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOestrogen receptors were measured in the primary breast tumours of 508 patients and progesterone receptors in those of 486 patients. Survival from mastectomy was significantly longer in patients with receptor-positive tumours. There was no significant difference between patients with receptor-positive and receptor-negative tumours in the relapse-free interval, but survival from first relapse was longer in patients with receptor-positive tumours. Axillary node status and tumour size indicated the probability of relapse but did not influence the length of survival after relapse. Response to tamoxifen or ovarian ablation was known in 65 of the 137 patients who relapsed. Survival from first relapse was significantly longer in patients who both responded to hormone therapy and had receptor-positive tumours. Patients who did not respond to hormone therapy and had receptor-positive tumours had the same survival characteristics as those with receptor-negative tumours who did not respond.
CitationSteroid-hormone receptors and survival after first relapse in breast cancer. 1984, 1 (8377):588-91 Lancet
- Long-term follow-up of axillary node-positive breast cancer patients receiving adjuvant tamoxifen alone: patterns of recurrence.
- Authors: Fisher BJ, Perera FE, Cooke AL, Opeitum A, Stitt L
- Issue date: 1998 Aug 1
- Expression of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) correlates with poor response to tamoxifen therapy in recurrent breast cancer.
- Authors: Foekens JA, Diamandis EP, Yu H, Look MP, Meijer-van Gelder ME, van Putten WL, Klijn JG
- Issue date: 1999 Feb
- The effect of oestrogen and progesterone receptors on recurrence and survival in patients with carcinoma of the breast.
- Authors: Howat JM, Harris M, Swindell R, Barnes DM
- Issue date: 1985 Feb
- [The importance of steroid receptors for the prognosis and hormone treatment of breast cancer patients: a retrospective study in Southeastern Netherlands].
- Authors: Voogd AC, Crommelin MA, Repelaer van Driel OJ, Tutein Nolthenius-Puylaert MC, Vreugdenhil G, Coebergh JW
- Issue date: 1998 Aug 1
- [Significance of hormone receptors of breast cancer cells for the duration of a disease-free interval].
- Authors: Zielinski CC, Kuzmits R, Kubista E, Salzer H, Staffen A, Aiginger P, Spona J
- Issue date: 1985 May 24