The synthesis of subendothelial matrix by bovine aortic endothelial cells in culture.
AffiliationCRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, M20 9BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBovine aortic endothelial cells cultured on collagenous or plastic substrata continuously synthesize and deposit a subendothelial matrix, independently of whether the cells are in the logarithmic or the stationary phase of growth. This subendothelial matrix contains fibrillar and amorphous elements comparable with those observed in the subendothelium in vivo. Deposition of subendothelial matrix on a collagen gel substratum both started earlier and progressed at approximately double the rate than that on denatured collagen. The relative composition of the subendothelial matrix was assessed by sequential incubation with trypsin, elastase and collagenase (Jones et al., 1979). The subendothelial matrix deposited on collagen gels by early confluent cultures and late post-confluent cultures differed in their enzyme sensitivity. These age-related changes in the enzyme sensitivity of the subendothelial matrix were characteristic for each cloned cell population examined. Comparable variations in the composition of the subendothelial matrix were not observed when the cells were cultured on plastic or gelatin-coated dishes; the subendothelial matrix deposited on these two substrata contained considerably more trypsin-sensitive material and less elastase and collagenase-sensitive material than the matrix deposited on native collagen gels. Age-related changes in the enzyme sensitivity of the subendothelial matrix deposited on collagen gels was found to be a function of the time elapsed since confluence and it was not related to the time elapsed since plating or to the number of cells present.
CitationThe synthesis of subendothelial matrix by bovine aortic endothelial cells in culture. 1984, 16 (5):677-91 Tissue Cell
JournalTissue & Cell
- Synthesis of extracellular matrix glycoproteins by cultured microvascular endothelial cells isolated from the dermis of neonatal and adult skin.
- Authors: Kramer RH, Fuh GM, Bensch KG, Karasek MA
- Issue date: 1985 Apr
- Extracellular matrix interactions with the apical surface of vascular endothelial cells.
- Authors: Kramer RH
- Issue date: 1985 Jun
- The effect of a native collagen gel substratum on the synthesis of collagen by bovine brain capillary endothelial cells.
- Authors: Scott DM, Kumar S, Barnes MJ
- Issue date: 1988 Jul
- Effects of culture conditions on the proliferation, morphology and migration of bovine aortic endothelial cells.
- Authors: Schor AM, Schor SL, Allen TD
- Issue date: 1983 Jul
- Modulation of extracellular matrix biosynthesis by bovine retinal pericytes in vitro: effects of the substratum and cell density.
- Authors: Canfield AE, Allen TD, Grant ME, Schor SL, Schor AM
- Issue date: 1990 May