AffiliationRegional Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering, Christie Hospital and holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester M20 9BX, England
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA discrete representation of the reconstruction process is used in an analysis of noise in computed tomography (CT) images. This model is consistent with the method of data collection in actual machines. An expression is derived which predicts the variance on the measured linear attenuation coefficient of a single pixel in an image. The dependence of the variance on various CT scanner design parameters such as pixel size, slice width, scan time, number of detectors, etc., is then described. The variation of noise with sampling area is theoretically explained. These predictions are in good agreement with a set of experimental measurements made on a range of CT scanners. The equivalent sampling aperture of the CT process is determined and the effect of the reconstruction filter on the variance of the linear attenuation coefficient is also noted, in particular, the choice and its consequences for reconstructed images and noise behaviour. The theory has been extended to include contrast detail behaviour, and these predictions compare favourably with experimental measurements. The theory predicts that image smoothing will have little effect on the contrast-detail detectability behaviour of reconstructed images.
CitationNoise and contrast detection in computed tomography images. 1984, 29 (4):329-39 Phys Med Biol
JournalPhysics in Medicine and Biology
- Analysis of x-ray computed tomography images using the noise power spectrum and autocorrelation function.
- Authors: Faulkner K, Moores BM
- Issue date: 1984 Nov
- [Incident Photon Number and Reconstructed Linear Attenuation Coefficients in Iterative CT Image Reconstruction].
- Authors: Shinohara H, Hashimoto T
- Issue date: 2019
- Computational and human observer image quality evaluation of low dose, knowledge-based CT iterative reconstruction.
- Authors: Eck BL, Fahmi R, Brown KM, Zabic S, Raihani N, Miao J, Wilson DL
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Dual energy CT for attenuation correction with PET/CT.
- Authors: Xia T, Alessio AM, Kinahan PE
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- CT head-scan dosimetry in an anthropomorphic phantom and associated measurement of ACR accreditation-phantom imaging metrics under clinically representative scan conditions.
- Authors: Brunner CC, Stern SH, Minniti R, Parry MI, Skopec M, Chakrabarti K
- Issue date: 2013 Aug