AffiliationChristie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester, M20 9BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNineteen patients with Cushing's disease were treated with low dose external pituitary irradiation (20 Gy (2000 rad) in eight fractions over 10 days). While awaiting the effects of pituitary irradiation all patients were treated with metyrapone. Seven patients had a complete remission of their disease within six to 12 months of irradiation. They did not require any further treatment and were followed up for a mean of three and a half (range one to eight) years. Another patient had a complete remission after a second course of pituitary irradiation. A further two patients showed a significant biochemical improvement after irradiation, although they were not rendered eucorticoid. There were no complications after this dose of irradiation. These results compare favourably with those reported after pituitary irradiation at conventional doses (40-50 Gy (4000-5000 rad) over four or five weeks) but were not associated with any complications. It is therefore recommended that low dose external pituitary irradiation be used as definitive first line treatment for Cushing's disease.
CitationTreatment of Cushing's disease with low dose radiation therapy. 1984, 289 (6446):643-6 Br Med J
JournalBritish Medical Journal
- Long-term follow-up of low-dose external pituitary irradiation for Cushing's disease.
- Authors: Littley MD, Shalet SM, Beardwell CG, Ahmed SR, Sutton ML
- Issue date: 1990 Oct
- Treatment of Cushing's disease in childhood and adolescence by stereotactic pituitary irradiation.
- Authors: Thorén M, Rähn T, Hallengren B, Kaad PH, Nilsson KO, Ravn H, Ritzén M, Petersen KE, Aarskog D
- Issue date: 1986 May
- The long-term outcome of pituitary irradiation after unsuccessful transsphenoidal surgery in Cushing's disease.
- Authors: Estrada J, Boronat M, Mielgo M, Magallón R, Millan I, Díez S, Lucas T, Barceló B
- Issue date: 1997 Jan 16
- Megavoltage pituitary irradiation in the management of Cushing's disease and Nelson's syndrome: long-term follow-up.
- Authors: Howlett TA, Plowman PN, Wass JA, Rees LH, Jones AE, Besser GM
- Issue date: 1989 Sep
- Results of external pituitary irradiation after unsuccessful transsphenoidal surgery in Cushing's disease.
- Authors: Vicente A, Estrada J, de la Cuerda C, Astigarraga B, Marazuela M, Blanco C, Lucas T, Barceló B
- Issue date: 1991 Nov