Metalloproteinase inhibitors from bovine cartilage and body fluids.
AffiliationCell Physiology Department, Strangeways Research Laboratory, Cambridge
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInhibitors of the mammalian metalloproteinases, collagenase, proteoglycanase and gelatinase were isolated from bovine cartilage (extracts and culture medium) and bovine amniotic fluid and serum. These inhibitors either bind or do not bind to concanavalin-A--Sepharose, with Mr (gel filtration) of about 30 000 and 20 000, respectively. Cartilage and chondrocyte culture media contained only concanavalin-A-binding inhibitors whereas cartilage extracts contained only a non-binding inhibitor: serum and amniotic fluid contained both forms of inhibitory activities. In moist biochemical respects, particularly in their abilities to inhibit metalloproteinases, all of the inhibitors were found to be similar. It is concluded that the forms of the inhibitors that differ in Mr may be closely related to the tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases (TIMP) previously purified from rabbit and human sources. These findings help to clarify other studies on collagenase inhibitors and support the concept that TIMP-like inhibitors may be important in the control of connective tissue degradation.
CitationMetalloproteinase inhibitors from bovine cartilage and body fluids. 1984, 139 (1):75-80 Eur J Biochem
JournalEuropean Journal of Biochemistry
- Effects of retinol and dexamethasone on cytokine-mediated control of metalloproteinases and their inhibitors by human articular chondrocytes and synovial cells in culture.
- Authors: McGuire-Goldring MK, Murphy G, Gowen M, Meats JE, Ebsworth NM, Poll C, Reynolds JJ, Russell RG
- Issue date: 1983 Sep 22
- Purification of a metalloproteinase inhibitor from human rheumatoid synovial fluid.
- Authors: Mercer E, Cawston TE, de Silva M, Hazleman BL
- Issue date: 1985 Nov 1
- Potent collagenase inhibitors prevent interleukin-1-induced cartilage degradation in vitro.
- Authors: Nixon JS, Bottomley KM, Broadhurst MJ, Brown PA, Johnson WH, Lawton G, Marley J, Sedgwick AD, Wilkinson SE
- Issue date: 1991
- Metalloproteinases and collagenase inhibitors in rheumatoid synovial fluid.
- Authors: Cawston TE, Mercer E, de Silva M, Hazleman BL
- Issue date: 1984 Mar
- Purification of rabbit bone inhibitor of collagenase.
- Authors: Cawston TE, Galloway WA, Mercer E, Murphy G, Reynolds JJ
- Issue date: 1981 Apr 1