Phase II study of amsacrine in refractory lymphomas. A report of the EORTC Early Clinical Trials Group.
AuthorsBramwell, Vivien H C
Ten Bokkel Huinink, W
Van Glabbeke, M
AffiliationCRC Department Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractForty-three patients with advanced measurable lymphoma, progressive after conventional therapy, were entered into a phase II study of m-AMSA 90-120 mg/m2 every 3 weeks. Five patients were ineligible and response could not be evaluated in four patients. For HD there were two partial responses (14%), lasting 6 and 41 weeks, in 14 evaluable patients. Among 20 evaluable patients with NHDL three (15%) achieved partial remission, but duration of response could not be evaluated. One patient with diffuse histiocytic lymphoma died of infection at 4 weeks, a second with lymphoblastic lymphoma was given high-dose steroids commencing at 6 weeks, and the third patient with nodular poorly differentiated lymphocytic lymphoma refused further treatment after one course. Leucopenia was more marked in patients with NHDL (WBC nadir X 10(9)/l, median 2.2, range 0.2-4.3) than in HD (WBC nadir X 10(9)/l, median 2.8, range 0.85-7.2), as was thrombocytopenia. There was one toxic death and one life-threatening infection, both secondary to myelosuppression. Non-haematological toxicity was mild. m-AMSA has marginal activity in previously treated lymphomas and causes considerable myelosuppression.
CitationPhase II study of amsacrine in refractory lymphomas. A report of the EORTC Early Clinical Trials Group. 1984, 20 (6):753-9 Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer & Clinical Oncology
- Phase II study of amsacrine (m-AMSA) in advanced lymphomas: a Southwest Oncology Group study.
- Authors: Weick JK, Jones SE, Ryan DH
- Issue date: 1983 May
- m-AMSA: phase II trial in advanced lymphoma and leukemia.
- Authors: Case DC Jr
- Issue date: 1984 Aug
- The treatment of melanoma with m-AMSA. A Cancer and Leukemia Group B phase II study.
- Authors: Amrein PC, Poulin RF, Coleman M, Richards F 2nd, Weil M, Kennedy BJ, Carey RW, Green MR, Holland JF, Weinberg V
- Issue date: 1984 Jun
- Phase II study with amsacrines (m-AMSA and m-AMSA lactate) in refractory lymphomas.
- Authors: Bajetta E, Buzzoni R, Viviani S, Villani F, Piotti P, Gasparini G, Bonadonna G
- Issue date: 1985 Sep
- Phase II trial of amsacrine (m-AMSA) in advanced ovarian carcinoma.
- Authors: Dombernowsky P, Siegenthaler P, Somers R, Hansen HH
- Issue date: 1982 Jan