Heterogeneity of cell-associated and secretory heparan sulphate proteoglycans produced by cultured human neuroblastoma cells.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Research, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBiosynthetically radiolabelled heparan sulphate proteoglycans have been isolated from the growth medium and the cell lysate of a human neuroblastoma cell line (CHP100). Chromatography on Sepharose CL-4B identified two heparan sulphate proteoglycans in the medium (Kav 0.220 and 0.389), whereas in the cell lysate the major proteoglycan species were more heterogenous and of a smaller overall molecular size (Kav 0.407) than the medium-derived counterparts. Chromatography on Sepharose CL-6B of free heparan sulphate glycosaminoglycan chains showed that the majority of cell-layer-derived material heparan sulphate 2, Kav = 0.509) was smaller than medium heparan sulphates (heparan sulphate 1 and heparan sulphate 2, Kav 0.230 and 0.317). Analysis of the patterns of polymer sulphation by nitrous acid treatment, gel chromatography and high-voltage electrophoresis established that in each heparan sulphate fraction there was on average 1.1 sulphate residues per disaccharide with an N:O sulphate ratio of 1.1. Heparan sulphate in the medium had a high proportion of di-O-sulphated disaccharides in regions of the chain with repeat disaccharide sequences of structure GlcA-GlcNSO3, whereas cell-associated material was enriched in di-O-sulphated tetrasaccharides of alternating sequences GlcA-GlcNAc-GlcA-GlcNSO3. The identification of several populations of heparan sulphate proteoglycans differing in molecular size and glycosaminoglycan fine structure may reflect the functional diversity of this family of macromolecules in the nervous system.
CitationHeterogeneity of cell-associated and secretory heparan sulphate proteoglycans produced by cultured human neuroblastoma cells. 1984, 801 (2):306-13 Biochim Biophys Acta
JournalBiochimica et Biophysica Acta
- Differences in the distribution of O-sulphate groups of cell-surface and secreted heparan sulphate produced by human neuroblastoma cells in culture.
- Authors: Hampson IN, Kumar S, Gallagher JT
- Issue date: 1983 Sep 22
- Sulphated and undersulphated heparan sulphate proteoglycans in a Chinese hamster ovary cell mutant defective in N-sulphotransferase.
- Authors: Bame KJ, Zhang L, David G, Esko JD
- Issue date: 1994 Oct 1
- Structural differences between heparan sulphates of proteoglycan involved in the formation of basement membranes in vivo by Lewis-lung-carcinoma-derived cloned cells with different metastatic potentials.
- Authors: Nakanishi H, Oguri K, Yoshida K, Itano N, Takenaga K, Kazama T, Yoshida A, Okayama M
- Issue date: 1992 Nov 15
- Biosynthesis of sulphated macromolecules by rabbit lens epithelium. I. Identification of the major macromolecules synthesized by lens epithelial cells in vitro.
- Authors: Heathcote JG, Orkin RW
- Issue date: 1984 Sep
- Characterization of heparan sulfate proteoglycans synthesized by rat ovarian granulosa cells in culture.
- Authors: Yanagishita M, Hascall VC
- Issue date: 1983 Nov 10