In vitro generation of NK-like activity in human PBL co-cultured with fresh T leukaemia cells.
AbstractGeneration of cytotoxic activity attributable to natural killer (NK)-like effector cells, against the NK-sensitive erythroleukaemia cell line K562 was estimated in peripheral blood lymphocytes (PBL) from normal donors, following stimulation with fresh leukaemic cells (FLC) of T-origin. One of 9 FLC induced anti-K562 cytotoxicity which was considerably higher than that of unstimulated control PBL. Cells derived from this patient possessed acid phosphatase (AP) and TdT activity. The reacted with the monoclonal antibodies RFA1 (directed against early and mature T cells) and A10 (specific for lymphohaemopoietic precursors). However, the cells did not form E rosettes, nor did they react with the monoclonal antibodies OKT3, OKT4, OKT8 and OKT11 to human T cell surface antigens. OKT6, which recognizes 70% of thymic lymphocytes was also negative. The high stimulatory activity of these cells may be related to the expression of surface determinants characteristic of early stages of the T-cell pathway, detected only by the monoclonal antibody RFA1.
CitationIn vitro generation of NK-like activity in human PBL co-cultured with fresh T leukaemia cells. 1984, 15 (2):85-90 J Clin Lab Immunol
JournalJournal of Clinical & Laboratory Immunology
- Discrepancy between phenotypic and functional features of natural killer T-lymphocytes in B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukaemia.
- Authors: Foa R, Lauria F, Lusso P, Giubellino MC, Fierro MT, Ferrando ML, Raspadori D, Matera L
- Issue date: 1984 Nov
- Phenotypic and functional characterization of HTLV positive neoplastic T cells cultured with interleukin-2--I. Retention of morphology, phenotype and selective cytotoxic properties in long term culture.
- Authors: Vyth-Dreese FA, de Vries JE
- Issue date: 1984
- Monoclonal antibodies which distinguish between human NK cells and cytotoxic T lymphocytes.
- Authors: Zarling JM, Kung PC
- Issue date: 1980 Nov 27
- Generation of non MHC restricted killing in non-cytotoxic T-lymphocytes from leukaemia patients.
- Authors: Matera L, Cardoso E, Caudana L, Moore M
- Issue date: 1987 Feb
- In vitro generation of human activated lymphocyte killer cells: separate precursors and modes of generation of NK-like cells and "anomalous" killer cells.
- Authors: Burns GF, Triglia T, Werkmeister JA
- Issue date: 1984 Sep