Influence of lectin-free interleukin-2 on natural and antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSupernatants derived from MLA-144, a gibbon T cell line that constitutively releases interleukin-2 (IL-2) and which lack detectable interferon (IFN) had the capacity to enhance the natural killer (NK) cells function of human peripheral blood lymphocytes. Percoll fractionation revealed that like IFN-inducible cytotoxic cells lymphocytes responding to MLA-144 supernatants cofractionate with native NK cells. Exposure to MLA-144 conditioned medium also potentiated the cytotoxic capacity of extravascular effector cells which are either unresponsive or weakly responsive to interferon-alpha (IFN-alpha). Moreover lymphocyte (K cell)-mediated antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity (ADCC) which is unresponsive to IFN-alpha was in most cases subject to a modest potentiation following treatment with MLA-144 supernatants. These data confirm previous reports that IL-2 can regulate peripheral blood NK cell function and also demonstrate that this lymphokine can also influence those natural cytotoxic mechanisms which are unresponsive to IFN-alpha.
CitationInfluence of lectin-free interleukin-2 on natural and antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity. 1984, 15 (2):77-84 J Clin Lab Immunol
JournalJournal of Clinical & Laboratory Immunology
- Regulation of natural and antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity by staphylococcal enterotoxin A.
- Authors: Kimber I, Bakács T, Moore M
- Issue date: 1983 Oct
- Recombinant interferons or interleukin-2 increase cytotoxicity by human monocytes and NK cells.
- Authors: Frey JR, Kamber M, Peck R
- Issue date: 1987 Summer
- Effects of natural and recombinant IL 2 on regulation of IFN gamma production and natural killer activity: lack of involvement of the Tac antigen for these immunoregulatory effects.
- Authors: Ortaldo JR, Mason AT, Gerard JP, Henderson LE, Farrar W, Hopkins RF 3rd, Herberman RB, Rabin H
- Issue date: 1984 Aug
- The participation of the Fas-mediated cytotoxic pathway by natural killer cells is tumor-cell-dependent.
- Authors: Mori S, Jewett A, Murakami-Mori K, Cavalcanti M, Bonavida B
- Issue date: 1997 Jul
- Activation of the human immature natural killer cell subset by IL-12 and its regulation by endogenous TNF-alpha and IFN-gamma secretion.
- Authors: Jewett A, Bonavida B
- Issue date: 1994 Apr 1