A comparison of the effects of tumor promoters 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate and teleocidin on gene expression in human skin cell fibroblasts.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe effects on primary human skin fibroblasts of the structurally unrelated tumor promoters 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate (TPA) and teleocidin B were compared with those of epidermal growth factor (EGF) and the non-promoting derivative 4-O-methyl TPA (4-O-MeTPA) by means of two-dimensional gel electrophoresis. Both TPA and teleocidin B caused a marked increase in the synthesis of two polypeptides with molecular weights of 44 kilodaltons (p44) and 55 kilodaltons (p55). P55 was complexed in cell lysates by antiactin antibody and was shown to be a component of the cytoskeleton. P44 migrated very near to actin, but was shown not to be a variant form of actin. No such specific increase in polypeptide synthesis was observed following treatment with either EGF or 4-O-MeTPA, suggesting that the increase in synthesis of p44 and p55 is specific to TPA and teleocidin, both agents with strong promoting activities.
CitationA comparison of the effects of tumor promoters 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate and teleocidin on gene expression in human skin cell fibroblasts. 1984, 75 (8):672-80 Gann
- Membrane-mediated responses to 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate in human skin fibroblasts.
- Authors: Kinsella AR, Whetton AD, De Wynter E, Bazill GW, Heyworth CM, Houslay MD
- Issue date: 1984
- Acute effects of 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate, teleocidin B, or 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin on cultured normal human bronchial epithelial cells.
- Authors: Willey JC, Saladino AJ, Ozanne C, Lechner JF, Harris CC
- Issue date: 1984 Feb
- Similarity of teleocidin B and phorbol ester tumour promoters in effects on membrane receptors.
- Authors: Umezawa K, Weinstein IB, Horowitz A, Fujiki H, Matsushima T, Sugimura T
- Issue date: 1981 Apr 2
- Activation of protein kinase C and specific phosphorylation of a Mr 90,000 membrane protein of promotable BALB/3T3 and C3H/10T1/2 cells by tumor promoters.
- Authors: Chida K, Hashiba H, Sasaki K, Kuroki T
- Issue date: 1986 Mar
- Teleocidin is not mitogenic for 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate non-proliferative variants of 3T3 cells.
- Authors: Herschman HR
- Issue date: 1983