Effect of src infection on long-term marrow cultures: increased self-renewal of hemopoietic progenitor cells without leukemia.
AffiliationDepartment of Microbiology University of Pennsylvania Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLong-term marrow cultures prepared from mice have been infected with a molecular recombinant of Rous sarcoma virus and murine amphitropic leukemia virus. This resulted in introduction of the src gene into the cultured cells and expression of its protein kinase function. The infected cultures displayed an altered balance in the accumulation of cells in different compartments of granulocyte differentiation. There was a dramatic increase in the stem cell (CFU-S) compartment and the committed progenitor cell (GM-CFC) compartment and a decrease in mature granulocytes. The altered balance appears to be caused by intrinsic alterations in the CFU-S and GM-CFC themselves, which increase their "self-renewal" capacity at the expense of cell differentiation. Remarkably, unlike its effects in other systems, src did not produce a neoplastic transformation of the hemopoietic cells.
CitationEffect of src infection on long-term marrow cultures: increased self-renewal of hemopoietic progenitor cells without leukemia. 1984, 36 (3):763-73 Cell
- Altered stem cell (CFU-S) function following infection of hematopoietic cells with a virus carrying V-src.
- Authors: Boettiger D, Dexter TM
- Issue date: 1986 Feb
- Continuous in vitro generation of multipotential stem cell clones from src-infected cultures.
- Authors: Spooncer E, Boettiger D, Dexter TM
- Issue date: 1984 Jul 19-25
- Effects of murine leukemia virus infection on long-term hematopoiesis in vitro emphasized by increased survival of bone marrow cultures derived from BALB/Mo mice.
- Authors: Greenberger JS, Shadduck RK, Jaenisch R, Waheed A, Sakakeeny MA
- Issue date: 1981 Sep
- AKR murine leukemia viruses and long-term bone marrow cultures from AKR and SJL mice.
- Authors: Hays EF, Warren J, Hale L, Rodensky D
- Issue date: 1980 Jan
- Self-renewal and differentiation capacity of bone marrow and fetal liver stem cells.
- Authors: Zucali JR
- Issue date: 1982 Oct