A randomized study comparing chemotherapy alone with chemotherapy followed by radiotherapy in patients with pathologically staged IIIA Hodgkin's disease.
Deakin, David P
Todd, Ian D
Wilkinson, Peter M
Scarffe, J Howard
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Radiotherapy and Medical Statistics, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, England
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis paper reports the five-year follow-up (range, 1-8 years) of 56 patients with pathologic stage IIIA Hodgkin's disease randomized for chemotherapy alone or chemotherapy followed by radiotherapy to previous areas of disease (26 treated with mustine, vinblastine, procarbazine, and prednisolone [MVPP] alone, 30 with MVPP and radiotherapy). Of the 56 patients 53 (95%) achieved a complete remission with chemotherapy and of these only five (9%) have relapsed; three died of Hodgkin's disease. There was no improvement in relapse-free survival associated with the uses of radiotherapy following chemotherapy but in view of the small numbers of relapses and the excellent results following chemotherapy alone, a significant improvement could not be expected. The use of MVPP alone can be recommended as an alternative therapy for patients with stage IIIA Hodgkin's disease. This avoids both the physical and psychologic morbidity associated with the high relapse rate following extensive primary radiotherapy and the necessity of combined modality treatment for about half these patients. The question of whether radiotherapy should be given to areas of previous bulk following chemotherapy has not yet been answered in this trial which is continuing.
CitationA randomized study comparing chemotherapy alone with chemotherapy followed by radiotherapy in patients with pathologically staged IIIA Hodgkin's disease. 1984, 2 (8):892-7 J Clin Oncol
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- A randomised study of adjuvant MVPP chemotherapy after mantle radiotherapy in pathologically staged IA-IIB Hodgkin's disease: 10-year follow-up.
- Authors: Anderson H, Crowther D, Deakin DP, Ryder WD, Radford JA
- Issue date: 1991 Feb
- The treatment of stage IIIA Hodgkin's disease.
- Authors: Lister TA, Dorreen MS, Faux M, Jones AE, Wrigley PF
- Issue date: 1983 Dec
- A randomised study of adjuvant chemotherapy after mantle radiotherapy in supradiaphragmatic Hodgkin's disease PS IA-IIB: a report from the Manchester lymphoma group.
- Authors: Anderson H, Deakin DP, Wagstaff J, Jones JM, Todd ID, Wilkinson PM, James RD, Steward WP, Blackledge G, Scarffe JH
- Issue date: 1984 Jun
- [Results of treatment of Hodgkin's disease in children. Observation of 203 cases treated with modified MVPP regimen combined with local radiotherapy].
- Authors: Balwierz W, Armata J, Moryl-Bujakowska A, Depowska T, Radwańska U, Kaczmarek M, Ochocka M, Stańczak E, Sońta-Jakimczyk D, Sroczyńska M
- Issue date: 1990 Dec 17-31
- MVPP chemotherapy combined with radiotherapy in the treatment of Hodgkin's disease in children: long-term results.
- Authors: Armata J, Borkowski W, Depowska T
- Issue date: 1984 Winter