Randomized phase II trial of carminomycin versus 4'-epidoxorubicin in advanced breast cancer.
Ten Bokkel Huinink, W
Bramwell, Vivien H C
Van Glabbeke, M
AffiliationInstitut Jules Bordet, Brussels, Belgium
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSixty-three evaluable patients with advanced breast cancer were randomly allocated to receive three-week intravenous courses of carminomycin (18 mg/m2) or 4'-epidoxorubicin (90 mg/m2). The former yielded one (3%) partial response for nine weeks among 29 patients whereas, in the other arm, nine (27%) of 34 patients achieved partial response for a median of 28 weeks (range, nine to 36 weeks; p less than 0.02). The major toxic effect of these anthracyclines was leukopenia with median white blood cell nadirs of 1,600/microL (range, 300-4,000/microL) versus 1,800/microL (range, 500-4,300/microL), respectively. Acute nonhematologic toxic effects were qualitatively similar but carminomycin produced significantly less gastrointestinal intolerance and alopecia. Patients whose disease failed to respond to first-line anthracycline received doxorubicin (60 mg/m2) every three weeks. Four partial responses were obtained among 19 patients previously treated with carminomycin. Following 4'-epidoxorubicin therapy, one of 12 evaluable patients also attained partial response. Survival curves were not affected by the initial treatment option. Carminomycin has marginal activity against breast cancer whereas 4'-epidoxorubicin deserves further evaluation of its therapeutic index relative to doxorubicin. The design used in this trial appears attractive for prompt phase II evaluation of anthracycline analogs.
CitationRandomized phase II trial of carminomycin versus 4'-epidoxorubicin in advanced breast cancer. 1984, 2 (4):275-81 J Clin Oncol
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- Carminomycin versus doxorubicin in advanced breast cancer, a randomized phase II study of the E.O.R.T.C. Breast Cancer Cooperative Group.
- Authors: Van Oosterom AT, Mouridsen HT, Wildiers J, Paridaens R, Cocconi G, Rotmensz N, Sylvester R
- Issue date: 1986 May
- Carminomycin. A new anthracycline analog in the treatment of advanced breast cancer.
- Authors: Aboud A, Yap HY, Esparza L, Blumenschein GR, Hortobagyi G, Issell B, Bodey GP
- Issue date: 1984 Jan 1
- A prospective randomized comparison of epirubicin and doxorubicin in patients with advanced breast cancer.
- Authors: Jain KK, Casper ES, Geller NL, Hakes TB, Kaufman RJ, Currie V, Schwartz W, Cassidy C, Petroni GR, Young CW
- Issue date: 1985 Jun
- [Phase II study of epirubicin on breast cancer: a cooperative group study].
- Authors: Tominaga T, Kitamura M, Nomura Y, Abe O, Enomoto K, Ikeda T, Izuo M, Iino Y, Taguchi T, Tamura K
- Issue date: 1986 Jun
- Weekly epirubicin versus doxorubicin as second line therapy in advanced breast cancer. A randomized clinical trial.
- Authors: Gasparini G, Dal Fior S, Panizzoni GA, Favretto S, Pozza F
- Issue date: 1991 Feb