Anastrozole: a new gold standard of hormonal treatment for breast cancer?
AffiliationCRUK Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Withington, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTamoxifen has long been the standard endocrine therapy for postmenopausal women with hormone-sensitive breast cancer. However, data now suggest that the third-generation aromatase inhibitors have emerged as superior alternatives for advanced disease. In early disease evaluation of initial adjuvant therapy, data from the Arimidex((R)), Tamoxifen, Alone and in Combination trial has shown that anastrozole is more effective than tamoxifen with a better risk-benefit profile. This trial provides the most mature data of any aromatase inhibitor study and suggests that anastrozole should be considered the preferred initial adjuvant therapy for postmenopausal women with hormone-responsive early breast cancer. The emergence of aromatase inhibitors as an alternative to tamoxifen for the treatment of breast cancer is challenging the management of the disease and influencing the change of regulatory guidelines.
CitationAnastrozole: a new gold standard of hormonal treatment for breast cancer? 2005, 1 (3):309-22 Womens Health
- The role of aromatase inhibitors as adjuvant therapy for early breast cancer in postmenopausal women.
- Authors: Mouridsen HT, Robert NJ
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Anastrozole alone or in combination with tamoxifen versus tamoxifen alone for adjuvant treatment of postmenopausal women with early-stage breast cancer: results of the ATAC (Arimidex, Tamoxifen Alone or in Combination) trial efficacy and safety update analyses.
- Authors: Baum M, Buzdar A, Cuzick J, Forbes J, Houghton J, Howell A, Sahmoud T, ATAC (Arimidex, Tamoxifen Alone or in Combination) Trialists' Group.
- Issue date: 2003 Nov 1
- Are all aromatase inhibitors the same? A review of controlled clinical trials in breast cancer.
- Authors: Berry J
- Issue date: 2005 Nov
- Safety considerations of adjuvant therapy in early breast cancer in postmenopausal women.
- Authors: Gradishar WJ
- Issue date: 2005
- Anastrozole (Arimidex)--an aromatase inhibitor for the adjuvant setting?
- Authors: Buzdar AU
- Issue date: 2001 Nov