Study of parathyroid transcription factor Gcm2 expression in parathyroid lesions.
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK. Daisuke.Nonaka@christie.nhs.uk
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGlial cells missing 2 (Gcm2) is a master regulatory gene of parathyroid gland development, and it is exclusively expressed in the parathyroid gland. Diagnostic application of anti-Gcm2 antibody has not been reported yet. In this study, a total of 58 cases of parathyroid lesions including 40 adenomas, 2 atypical adenomas, 2 carcinomas, 9 hyperplastic lesions, 4 parathyroid cysts, and 1 case of recurrent hyperplasia of an autograft gland were stained with anti-Gcm2 antibody. Anti-Gcm2 was also applied to a variety of endocrine tumors, including thyroid tumors and nonendocrine tumors, and normal tissues from a variety of organs, including the parathyroid and thyroid glands. Gcm2 nuclear expression was seen in all the normal parathyroid glands, and cystic, hyperplastic, and neoplastic parathyroid lesions in a diffuse manner, whereas no Gcm2 expression was seen in any other normal tissues and tumors, including those of the thymus and thyroid gland. Anti-Gcm2 antibody is a highly sensitive and specific marker for parathyroid lesions. Although the immunohistochemistry stain for parathyroid hormone is a useful marker, its reaction tends to be variable in extent and intensity in parathyroid neoplasia, and it is often negative in parathyroid cysts, and Gcm2 would serve as a useful adjunct marker.
CitationStudy of parathyroid transcription factor Gcm2 expression in parathyroid lesions. 2011, 35 (1):145-51 Am J Surg Pathol
JournalThe American Journal of Surgical Pathology
- The role of prognostic markers (MiB-1, RB, and bcl-2) in the diagnosis of parathyroid tumors.
- Authors: Vargas MP, Vargas HI, Kleiner DE, Merino MJ
- Issue date: 1997 Jan
- [The use of flow cytometry in the study of parathyroid hyperplasia and adenomas].
- Authors: Mangili F, Sassi I, Schiaffino E, Zogno C, Cantaboni A, Schmid C
- Issue date: 1992 Jul-Aug
- Expression of nm23 antimetastatic gene product in parathyroid hyperplasia, adenoma and carcinoma. An immunohistological assessment.
- Authors: Al-Maghrabi JA, Asa SL
- Issue date: 2005 May
- [Special and functional pathomorphology of parathyroid glands as revealed in non-selected autopsies (589 cases) (author's transl)].
- Authors: Thiele J, Ries P, Georgii A
- Issue date: 1975 Aug 12
- Expression of cyclin D1 in parathyroid carcinomas, adenomas, and hyperplasias: a paraffin immunohistochemical study.
- Authors: Vasef MA, Brynes RK, Sturm M, Bromley C, Robinson RA
- Issue date: 1999 Apr