AuthorsMehrotra, Pawan Vinod
AffiliationCancer Research UK, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPoly(ADP-ribosyl)ation plays a major role in DNA repair, where it regulates chromatin relaxation as one of the critical events in the repair process. However, the molecular mechanism by which poly(ADP-ribose) modulates chromatin remains poorly understood. Here we identify the poly(ADP-ribose)-regulated protein APLF as a DNA-damage-specific histone chaperone. APLF preferentially binds to the histone H3/H4 tetramer via its C-terminal acidic motif, which is homologous to the motif conserved in the histone chaperones of the NAP1L family (NAP1L motif). We further demonstrate that APLF exhibits histone chaperone activities in a manner that is dependent on its acidic domain and that the NAP1L motif is critical for the repair capacity of APLF in vivo. Finally, we identify structural analogs of APLF in lower eukaryotes with the ability to bind histones and localize to the sites of DNA-damage-induced poly(ADP-ribosyl)ation. Collectively, these findings define the involvement of histone chaperones in poly(ADP-ribose)-regulated DNA repair reactions.
CitationDNA Repair Factor APLF Is a Histone Chaperone. 2011, 41 (1):46-55 Mol Cell
- Structure and identification of ADP-ribose recognition motifs of APLF and role in the DNA damage response.
- Authors: Li GY, McCulloch RD, Fenton AL, Cheung M, Meng L, Ikura M, Koch CA
- Issue date: 2010 May 18
- APLF (C2orf13) is a novel component of poly(ADP-ribose) signaling in mammalian cells.
- Authors: Rulten SL, Cortes-Ledesma F, Guo L, Iles NJ, Caldecott KW
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- Histone chaperone APLF regulates induction of pluripotency in murine fibroblasts.
- Authors: Syed KM, Joseph S, Mukherjee A, Majumder A, Teixeira JM, Dutta D, Pillai MR
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 15
- PARP-3 and APLF function together to accelerate nonhomologous end-joining.
- Authors: Rulten SL, Fisher AE, Robert I, Zuma MC, Rouleau M, Ju L, Poirier G, Reina-San-Martin B, Caldecott KW
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 7
- Poly(ADP-ribose)-binding zinc finger motifs in DNA repair/checkpoint proteins.
- Authors: Ahel I, Ahel D, Matsusaka T, Clark AJ, Pines J, Boulton SJ, West SC
- Issue date: 2008 Jan 3