Reduction of motion artefacts in on-board cone beam CT by warping of projection images.
AffiliationNorth Western Medical Physics, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA local motion correction method for flat panel imager-based cone beam CT by warping of projection images has been developed and tested. Markers within or on the surface of the patient are tracked and their mean three-dimensional (3D) position is calculated. The two-dimensional (2D) cone beam projection images are then warped before reconstruction to place each marker at the projection from its mean 3D position. The motion correction method was tested using simulated cone beam projection images of a deforming virtual phantom, real CBCT images of a moving breast phantom and clinical CBCT images of a patient with breast cancer and another with pancreas cancer undergoing radiotherapy. In phantom studies, the method was shown to greatly reduce motion artefacts in the locality of the radiotherapy target and allowed the true surface shape to be accurately recovered. The breast phantom motion-compensated surface was within 1 mm of the true surface shape for 90% of surface points and greater than 2 mm from the true surface at only 2% of points. Clinical CBCT images showed improved image quality in the locality of the radiotherapy target after motion correction.
CitationReduction of motion artefacts in on-board cone beam CT by warping of projection images. 2010: Br J Radiol
JournalThe British Journal of Radiology
- Automated target tracking in kilovoltage images using dynamic templates of fiducial marker clusters.
- Authors: Campbell WG, Miften M, Jones BL
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- An algorithm to extract three-dimensional motion by marker tracking in the kV projections from an on-board imager: four-dimensional cone-beam CT and tumor tracking implications.
- Authors: Ali I, Alsbou N, Herman T, Ahmad S
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 1
- Automatic tracking of arbitrarily shaped implanted markers in kilovoltage projection images: a feasibility study.
- Authors: Regmi R, Lovelock DM, Hunt M, Zhang P, Pham H, Xiong J, Yorke ED, Goodman KA, Rimner A, Mostafavi H, Mageras GS
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Evaluation of the cone beam CT for internal target volume localization in lung stereotactic radiotherapy in comparison with 4D MIP images.
- Authors: Wang L, Chen X, Lin MH, Xue J, Lin T, Fan J, Jin L, Ma CM
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Using cone-beam CT projection images to estimate the average and complete trajectory of a fiducial marker moving with respiration.
- Authors: Becker N, Smith WL, Quirk S, Kay I
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 21