Treatment of limited small cell lung cancer: an old or new challenge?
AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, UK bDepartment of Clinical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE OF REVIEW: This review highlights how progress has been made in treating limited small cell lung cancer and outlines current challenges to overcome for improved cure rates. RECENT FINDINGS: There is a rationale for the tumour, node, metastasis staging system to replace the current convention of limited versus extensive stage. Positron emission tomography may aid in staging but prospective validation in larger series of patients is needed. Cisplatin and etoposide chemotherapy has yet to be superseded by either newer cytotoxic drugs or targeted agents. More progress has been made for radiotherapy but questions of optimal dose, schedule, timing and treatment volume remain unanswered. SUMMARY: Concurrent chemoradiotherapy is associated with a one in four chance of cure. Two ongoing phase III trials have been designed to address the optimal radiotherapy regimen to combine with cisplatin and etoposide. Close collaboration between radiation and medical oncologists is needed to make further progress and to improve patient access to curative intent concurrent chemoradiotherapy regimens.
CitationTreatment of limited small cell lung cancer: an old or new challenge? 2010: Curr Opin Oncol
JournalCurrent Opinion in Oncology
- [The role of surgical resection in treating small cell lung cancer].
- Authors: Ye B, Zhao SH, Liu XY
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- Current role of surgery in small cell lung carcinoma.
- Authors: Koletsis EN, Prokakis C, Karanikolas M, Apostolakis E, Dougenis D
- Issue date: 2009 Jul 9
- Surgery for limited stage small cell lung cancer: time to fish or cut bait.
- Authors: Shepherd FA
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Treatment of limited disease small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: De Ruysscher D
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Treatment of small-cell lung cancer in elderly patients.
- Authors: Pallis AG, Shepherd FA, Lacombe D, Gridelli C
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 1