Salivary cortisone is a potential biomarker for serum free cortisol.
AffiliationDepartment of Endocrinology, Christie Hospital and Endocrine Sciences Research Group, University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSalivary cortisol measurement is used as a practical surrogate for serum free cortisol. However, parotid tissue harbors 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (11β-HSD2) activity converting cortisol to cortisone.
CitationSalivary cortisone is a potential biomarker for serum free cortisol. 2010, 95 (11):4951-8 J Clin Endocrinol Metab
JournalThe Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Simultaneous measurement of cortisol and cortisone in human saliva using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry: application in basal and stimulated conditions.
- Authors: Perogamvros I, Owen LJ, Newell-Price J, Ray DW, Trainer PJ, Keevil BG
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 1
- Salivary cortisol determined by enzyme immunoassay is preferable to serum total cortisol for assessment of dynamic hypothalamic--pituitary--adrenal axis activity.
- Authors: Gozansky WS, Lynn JS, Laudenslager ML, Kohrt WM
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- The association between perceived emotional support, maternal mood, salivary cortisol, salivary cortisone, and the ratio between the two compounds in response to acute stress in second trimester pregnant women.
- Authors: La Marca-Ghaemmaghami P, La Marca R, Dainese SM, Haller M, Zimmermann R, Ehlert U
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Salivary cortisol and cortisone responses to short-term psychological stress challenge in late adolescent and young women with different hyperandrogenic states.
- Authors: Mezzullo M, Fanelli F, Di Dalmazi G, Fazzini A, Ibarra-Gasparini D, Mastroroberto M, Guidi J, Morselli-Labate AM, Pasquali R, Pagotto U, Gambineri A
- Issue date: 2018 May
- Simultaneous analysis of cortisol and cortisone in saliva using XLC-MS/MS for fully automated online solid phase extraction.
- Authors: Jones RL, Owen LJ, Adaway JE, Keevil BG
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 15