Weekly versus twice weekly bortezomib given in conjunction with rituximab, in patients with recurrent follicular lymphoma, mantle cell lymphoma and Waldenström macroglobulinaemia.
Neeson, Susan M
Radford, John A
Lister, T A
AffiliationCR-UK Medical Oncology Unit, St Bartholomew's Hospital, London, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe combination of bortezomib and rituximab was evaluated in patients with mantle cell lymphoma (MCL), follicular lymphoma (FL) and Waldenström macroglobulinaemia (WM), in a Phase I and later, a randomized Phase II study. In the randomized study, 42 patients with recurrent/refractory disease received either: bortezomib 1·3 mg/m(2) on days 1, 4, 8 and 11 of a 3-week cycle with rituximab 375 mg/m(2) on day 1 (21 patients) or: bortezomib 1·6 mg/m(2) and rituximab on days 1, 8, 15 and 22 of a 5-week cycle (with rituximab being given only in cycles 1 and 4).Twenty-eight patients were withdrawn (toxicity 16, progression 7, and 'patient choice' 5). The main toxicities were neurological, gastro-intestinal and haematological. The overall response rate was 28/42(67%) and by histology: MCL 11/19, FL 8/15, and WM 9/10. Ten of 28 responding patients remained progression-free at 1-3·5 years. Toxicity and efficacy were equivalent between the two groups. The combination has significant toxicity but is effective, particularly in patients with WM.
CitationWeekly versus twice weekly bortezomib given in conjunction with rituximab, in patients with recurrent follicular lymphoma, mantle cell lymphoma and Waldenström macroglobulinaemia. 2010, 151 (4):346-53 Br J Haematol
JournalBritish Journal of Haematology
- Multicenter randomized phase II study of weekly or twice-weekly bortezomib plus rituximab in patients with relapsed or refractory follicular or marginal-zone B-cell lymphoma.
- Authors: de Vos S, Goy A, Dakhil SR, Saleh MN, McLaughlin P, Belt R, Flowers CR, Knapp M, Hart L, Patel-Donnelly D, Glenn M, Gregory SA, Holladay C, Zhang T, Boral AL
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 20
- Phase 2 trial of rituximab and bortezomib in patients with relapsed or refractory mantle cell and follicular lymphoma.
- Authors: Baiocchi RA, Alinari L, Lustberg ME, Lin TS, Porcu P, Li X, Johnston JS, Byrd JC, Blum KA
- Issue date: 2011 Jun 1
- Bortezomib, bendamustine, and rituximab in patients with relapsed or refractory follicular lymphoma: the phase II VERTICAL study.
- Authors: Fowler N, Kahl BS, Lee P, Matous JV, Cashen AF, Jacobs SA, Letzer J, Amin B, Williams ME, Smith S, Saleh A, Rosen P, Shi H, Parasuraman S, Cheson BD
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 1
- A phase 1 dose escalation study of bortezomib combined with rituximab, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, modified vincristine, and prednisone for untreated follicular lymphoma and other low-grade B-cell lymphomas.
- Authors: Sinha R, Kaufman JL, Khoury HJ Jr, King N, Shenoy PJ, Lewis C, Bumpers K, Hutchison-Rzepka A, Tighiouart M, Heffner LT, Lechowicz MJ, Lonial S, Flowers CR
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 15
- Phase I trial of bortezomib in combination with rituximab-HyperCVAD alternating with rituximab, methotrexate and cytarabine for untreated aggressive mantle cell lymphoma.
- Authors: Romaguera JE, Fayad LE, McLaughlin P, Pro B, Rodriguez A, Wang M, Weaver P, Hartig K, Kwak LW, Feldman T, Smith J, Ford P, Goldberg S, Pecora A, Goy A
- Issue date: 2010 Oct