AffiliationBreast Biology Group, School of Cancer and Enabling Sciences, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester;, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe and others have established that the developmental Notch receptor signaling pathway is active in breast cancer cell lines, as well as in preinvasive and invasive primary samples. Recently, a role for Notch in regulating the hierarchy of stem and progenitor cells in both normal and cancer epithelium has been elucidated. Because inhibiting the Notch receptor signaling pathway is a possible future breast cancer therapy, here, we review the expression and activity of the different ligands and receptors and summarize the various ways in which the pathway's activity can be inhibited, and the likely effects of inhibition on different tumor cell subpopulations.
CitationBreast cancer stem cells: something out of notching? 2010, 70 (22):8973-6 Cancer Res
- Anti-estrogen Resistance in Human Breast Tumors Is Driven by JAG1-NOTCH4-Dependent Cancer Stem Cell Activity.
- Authors: Simões BM, O'Brien CS, Eyre R, Silva A, Yu L, Sarmiento-Castro A, Alférez DG, Spence K, Santiago-Gómez A, Chemi F, Acar A, Gandhi A, Howell A, Brennan K, Rydén L, Catalano S, Andó S, Gee J, Ucar A, Sims AH, Marangoni E, Farnie G, Landberg G, Howell SJ, Clarke RB
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 29
- Regulation of breast cancer stem cell activity by signaling through the Notch4 receptor.
- Authors: Harrison H, Farnie G, Howell SJ, Rock RE, Stylianou S, Brennan KR, Bundred NJ, Clarke RB
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 15
- Notch reporter activity in breast cancer cell lines identifies a subset of cells with stem cell activity.
- Authors: D'Angelo RC, Ouzounova M, Davis A, Choi D, Tchuenkam SM, Kim G, Luther T, Quraishi AA, Senbabaoglu Y, Conley SJ, Clouthier SG, Hassan KA, Wicha MS, Korkaya H
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- Prolyl-isomerase Pin1 controls normal and cancer stem cells of the breast.
- Authors: Rustighi A, Zannini A, Tiberi L, Sommaggio R, Piazza S, Sorrentino G, Nuzzo S, Tuscano A, Eterno V, Benvenuti F, Santarpia L, Aifantis I, Rosato A, Bicciato S, Zambelli A, Del Sal G
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Reactive astrocytes promote the metastatic growth of breast cancer stem-like cells by activating Notch signalling in brain.
- Authors: Xing F, Kobayashi A, Okuda H, Watabe M, Pai SK, Pandey PR, Hirota S, Wilber A, Mo YY, Moore BE, Liu W, Fukuda K, Iiizumi M, Sharma S, Liu Y, Wu K, Peralta E, Watabe K
- Issue date: 2013 Mar