The pulsatile secretion of bioactive luteinising hormone in normal adult men.
AffiliationDepartment of Medicine (Clinical Biochemistry), University of Manchester, Hope Hospital, Salford, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have studied bioactive and immunoreactive LH pulsatility in 11 normal men. The temporal relationship of plasma LH, testosterone, and FSH were also investigated. Blood samples were taken at 10-minute intervals for 6 h and bioactive LH levels were determined using an in vitro mouse Leydig cell bioassay. Testosterone, LH and FSH were determined by standard radioimmunoassay. Twenty-two bioactive LH pulses were detected (amplitude 8.5 +/- 4.9 IU/l, mean +/- SD) with a frequency of 2 +/- 0.8/6 h compared with only 18 immunoreactive LH pulses (amplitude of 3.6 +/- 1.8 IU/l) and a frequency of 1.6 +/- 0.5/6 h. Bioactive:immunoreactive LH ratios increased (p less than 0.01) from the preceding pulse nadirs (2.26, range 1.66-4.28) to the pulse peaks (2.71, range 1.99-4.67). Twenty FSH pulses (seen in all but one subject) of low amplitude (0.7 +/- 0.6, median 0.5 IU/l) were also present. There was a close temporal relationship between testosterone and FSH secretion with bioactive and immunoreactive LH pulses with lags of 30-60 and 0 min, respectively. We conclude that immunoreactive LH pulses are discordant from bioactive LH pulses in 18% of occasions. Further, the mean amplitude of bioactive episodes were approximately 2.6 times greater than that of immunoreactive episodes, whereas interpulse period and pulse duration were similar. The increase in bioactive:immunoreactive ratio at pulse peaks may indicate that in normal men LH pulses are enriched with a more biopotent form of the molecule.
CitationThe pulsatile secretion of bioactive luteinising hormone in normal adult men. 1990, 122 (5):643-50 Acta Endocrinol
- Pattern of secretion of bioactive and immunoreactive gonadotrophins in normal pubertal children.
- Authors: Dunger DB, Villa AK, Matthews DR, Edge JA, Jones J, Rothwell C, Preece MA, Robertson WR
- Issue date: 1991 Sep
- Luteinizing hormone pulsatility in men with damage to the germinal epithelium.
- Authors: Talbot JA, Shalet SM, Tsatsoulis A, Grabinski M, Robertson WR
- Issue date: 1990 Jun
- Luteinizing hormone and follicle stimulating hormone secretion patterns in boys throughout puberty measured using highly sensitive immunoradiometric assays.
- Authors: Wennink JM, Delemarre-van de Waal HA, Schoemaker R, Schoemaker H, Schoemaker J
- Issue date: 1989 Nov
- Quantitative and qualitative changes in LH secretion following pulsatile GnRH therapy in a man with idiopathic hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism.
- Authors: Tsatsoulis A, Shalet SM, Talbot A, Robertson WR
- Issue date: 1989 Feb
- An investigation of LH pulsatility in burned men by bioassay and radioimmunoassay.
- Authors: Semple CG, Mitchell R, Hollis S, Robertson WR
- Issue date: 1992 May