Strain differences in the radiosensitivity of mouse spermatogonia.
AffiliationCERN, European Organisation for Nuclear Research, CH-1211, Geneve 23, Switzerland.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe radiosensitivity of spermatogonia was found to be greater by up to a factor of 2 in C3H mice than in B6D2F1 mice, whether assessed for the highly sensitive spermatogonia (types A2 to In) or the much more resistant clonogenic spermatogonia which repopulate tubules. The latter were similarly resistant in the B6D2F1 hybrid and in the DBA2 parent, but were much more sensitive in the C57BL parent strain. A difference in sensitivity by up to a factor of 2 results in a variation by a factor of 10 or more in the level of survival of clonogenic cells after high doses. This variation is also observed when comparing data in the literature from different authors using various strains of mice. Using the radiosensitizer misonidazole, it was shown that hypoxia did not play a major role in the lesser sensitivity demonstrated in B6D2F1 mice. The variation in sensitivity is similar to the range reported in the literature for reciprocal translocations.
CitationStrain differences in the radiosensitivity of mouse spermatogonia. 1985, 48 (4):579-88 Int. J. Radiat. Biol. Relat. Stud. Phys. Chem. Med.
JournalInternational Journal of Radiation Biology and Related Studies in Physics, Chemistry, and Medicine
- Effects of S-2(3-aminopropylamino) ethylphosphorothioic acid (WR-2721) on the sensitivity of mouse spermatogonia A to radiation.
- Authors: Jaimala, Bhartiya HC, Pareek BP
- Issue date: 1984
- P53 deficiency produces fewer regenerating spermatogenic tubules after irradiation.
- Authors: Hendry JH, Adeeko A, Potten CS, Morris ID
- Issue date: 1996 Dec
- [The mutagenic effect of different types of irradiation on the sex cells of male mice. VIII. Frequency of development of reciprocal translocations in the spermatogonia of mice subjected to chronic gamma-irradiation].
- Authors: Pomeratseva MD, Vilkina GA, Ivanov VN
- Issue date: 1975
- The response of murine stem spermatogonia to radiation combined with 3-aminobenzamide.
- Authors: Schlappack OK, Delic JI, Bush C, Stanley JA, Steel GG
- Issue date: 1987 Jul