SCE induction and harlequin staining in mycoplasma-contaminated Chinese hamster cells.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Withington, Manchester, M20 9BX, Great Britain
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractChinese hamster V79 and CHO cells infected with Mycoplasma hyorhinis show elevated sister-chromatid exchange (SCE) levels but normal cell proliferation and levels of chromosomal aberrations when compared with uninfected cells. Harlequin staining patterns differ from those seen with uninfected cells at similar levels of bromodeoxyuridine (BrdUrd), indicating that BrdUrd is rapidly depleted from the medium by the mycoplasmal uridine phosphorylase and therefore becomes unavailable over the two cell cycles necessary for harlequin staining. Continuous treatment with the antibiotic minocycline restores the SCE level and harlequin staining to that seen in uncontaminated cells. The results suggest that mycoplasma infection should be suspected if harlequin staining patterns indicate a sudden decrease in incorporation of BrdUrd in cells grown in normal levels of BrdUrd.
CitationSCE induction and harlequin staining in mycoplasma-contaminated Chinese hamster cells. 1985, 93 (2):165-8 Chromosoma
- A comparison of induced sister chromatid exchange levels in Chinese hamster ovary cells and cultured human lymphocytes.
- Authors: Morgan WF, Crossen PE
- Issue date: 1982
- Kinetics of induction of sister-chromatid exchanges by X-rays through two cell cycles.
- Authors: Renault G, Gentil A, Chouroulinkov I
- Issue date: 1982 Jun
- Fine-structural aspects of bromodeoxyuridine incorporation in sister chromatid differentiation and replication banding.
- Authors: Jack EM, Harrison CJ, White GR, Ockey CH, Allen TD
- Issue date: 1989 Oct
- Analysis of bromodeoxyuridine-induced single and twin sister chromatid exchanges in tetraploid Chinese hamster ovary cells.
- Authors: Schwartz JL
- Issue date: 1986
- Okadaic acid, a protein phosphatase inhibitor, induces sister-chromatid exchanges depending on the presence of bromodeoxyuridine.
- Authors: Tohda H, Nagao M, Sugimura T, Oikawa A
- Issue date: 1993 Oct