Differential effect of i.p.- and i.v.-injected adriamycin on the clonogenic spermatogonia of murine testis.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX, U.K.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe response of murine clonogenic spermatogonia has been measured after intraperitoneal or intravenous injections of adriamycin (ADR). When measured over the whole testis, the survival curve for regenerating tubules after i.p. ADR had a 10-15% lower LD37 dose (that dose which sterilises 37% of tubules) but a two-fold higher average D0 for the clonogenic cells than that for i.v. ADR. Survival was then measured in concentric zones of these equatorial sections of testis. For i.v. injection survival parameters varied little between zones in the centre of the testis and zones adjoining the testicular capsule. In contrast, for i.p. ADR central zones had a 40% higher LD37 but the same D0 as for i.v. ADR, while peripheral zones had LD37s as little as 35% of the i.v. figure and mean D0s 2-3 times higher. Pharmacokinetic considerations that might lead to these differences in clonogenic response are discussed.
CitationDifferential effect of i.p.- and i.v.-injected adriamycin on the clonogenic spermatogonia of murine testis. 1985, 21 (8):991-4 Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol
JournalEuropean Journal of Cancer & Clinical Oncology
- [The effects of DDP on the seminiferous epithelium of rats].
- Authors: Gotoh S, Tachibana Y, Higashi Y, Fukui I, Takagi K, Takeuchi S
- Issue date: 1984 Sep
- Collaborative work to evaluate toxicity on male reproductive organs by repeated dose studies in rats 9). Testicular toxicity in male rats given adriamycin for two or four weeks.
- Authors: Adachi T, Nishimura T, Imahie H, Yamamura T
- Issue date: 2000 Oct
- Collaborative work to evaluate toxicity on male reproductive organs by repeated dose studies in rats 10). Testicular toxicity of adriamycin observed 2 and 4 weeks after a single intravenous administration.
- Authors: Tsunenari I, Kawachi M, Matsumaru T, Katsuki S
- Issue date: 2000 Oct
- [Quantitative histopathological study on the adriamycin testicular toxicity in rats].
- Authors: Matsui H, Toyoda K, Shinoda K, Okamiya H, Furukawa F, Kawanishi T, Takahashi M
- Issue date: 1993
- Doxorubicin induces apoptosis in germ line stem cells in the immature rat testis and amifostine cannot protect against this cytotoxicity.
- Authors: Hou M, Chrysis D, Nurmio M, Parvinen M, Eksborg S, Söder O, Jahnukainen K
- Issue date: 2005 Nov 1