Investigation of human chromosome polymorphisms by scanning electron microscopy.
AffiliationThe Department of Cell Biology and Cytogenetics, and the Department of Ultrastructure, Paterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHuman chromosome polymorphisms were investigated by scanning electron microscopy (SEM). Centromeric heterochromatin was of a constricted morphology. The extent of the C banded region was demarcated by a prominent circumferential groove in G banded chromosomes. Circumferential grooves were observed within the heterochromatin of chromosome 9, and the number of grooves present reflected the size of the region. Three dimensional viewing of satellites and short arms of acrocentric chromosomes, from different angles in the SEM, provided the opportunity for accurate assessment of the size of satellites to be made. Also, small morphological variations were defined in the SEM when definition was uncertain in the light microscope (LM).
CitationInvestigation of human chromosome polymorphisms by scanning electron microscopy. 1985, 22 (1):16-23 J Med Genet
JournalJournal of Medical Genetics
- The structural basis for C-banding. A scanning electron microscopy study.
- Authors: Jack EM, Harrison CJ, Allen TD, Harris R
- Issue date: 1985
- [C-polymorphism of chromosomes 1, 9, 16 and Y in newborn infants of various gestational ages].
- Authors: Akopian GR, Buzhievskaia TI
- Issue date: 1986 Mar-Apr
- [Comparative analysis of the polymorphism of the heterochromatic regions of chromosomes 1, 9, 16 and Y in healthy children and children with mild forms of mental retardation].
- Authors: Sushanlo KhM, Podugol'nikova OA, Marincheva GS, Parfenova IV, Sycheva ZhL
- Issue date: 1981
- Variability of constitutive heterochromatin of human chromosomes in the population. Analysis of sex differences and coincidence of variants.
- Authors: Balícek P, Zizka J, Zaydlar K
- Issue date: 1981
- [Polymorphism of the heterochromatic regions of chromosomes 1, 9, 16 and Y and mental retardation].
- Authors: Podugol'nikova OA, Sushanlo KhM, Bliumina MG, Prokof'eva-Bel'govskaia AA
- Issue date: 1984 Jan