The structural basis for C-banding. A scanning electron microscopy study.
AffiliationDepartment of Ultrastructure and Department of Cell Biology, Paterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital & Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe same C-banded human polymorphic chromosomes were observed in the light microscope (LM) and then in the scanning electron microscope (SEM) to investigate the structural changes produced by the C-banding technique. C-banded regions, which stained positively in LM, were highly condensed with tightly packed chromatin fibres, resembling non-banded chromosomes. In striking contrast, adjacent non-C-banded regions were represented by loosely arranged fibres, resembling G-banded chromosomes. The significance of these observations in relation to current theories on the effects of C-banding on chromosome structure is discussed.
CitationThe structural basis for C-banding. A scanning electron microscopy study. 1985, 91 (5):363-8 Chromosoma
- Investigation of human chromosome polymorphisms by scanning electron microscopy.
- Authors: Harrison CJ, Jack EM, Allen TD, Harris R
- Issue date: 1985 Feb
- A structural basis for R- and T-banding: a scanning electron microscopy study.
- Authors: Jack EM, Harrison CJ, Allen TD, Harris R
- Issue date: 1986
- Variability of constitutive heterochromatin of human chromosomes in the population. Analysis of sex differences and coincidence of variants.
- Authors: Balícek P, Zizka J, Zaydlar K
- Issue date: 1981
- NOR associations with heterochromatin.
- Authors: Tuck-Muller CM, Bordson BL, Varela M, Bennett JW
- Issue date: 1984
- [Comparative analysis of the polymorphism of the heterochromatic regions of chromosomes 1, 9, 16 and Y in healthy children and children with mild forms of mental retardation].
- Authors: Sushanlo KhM, Podugol'nikova OA, Marincheva GS, Parfenova IV, Sycheva ZhL
- Issue date: 1981