Regulators of stem cell proliferation in the haemopoietic tissues of W/Wv and S1/S1d mice.
AffiliationDepartment of Anatomy and Experimental Pathology, University of St Andrews
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe presence of CFU-S proliferation stimulatory and inhibitory activities in the bone marrow and spleens of normal mice (+/+) and mice with mutations affecting the proliferative behaviour of stem cells (S1/S1d and W/Wv) has been investigated. S1/S1d and +/+ bone marrow and spleen contain virtually no detectable stimulator but the corresponding tissues from W/Wv mice are both strongly stimulatory. S1/S1d marrow in particular, but also +/+ marrow are strongly inhibitory whilst +/+ spleen, S1/S1d spleen, W/Wv marrow and W/Wv spleen all contain inhibitory activity but at a lower specific activity. The data are compatible with studies of cell and tissue grafts that have indicated an intrinsic haemopoietic stem cell defect in W/Wv mice and an extrinsic, microenvironmental defect in S1/S1d mice. It is suggested that they are also compatible with defective regulatory interactions between stem cells and regulator-producing cells and that the W and S1 loci may code for products involved in the production of, or response to, CFU-S proliferation regulators.
CitationRegulators of stem cell proliferation in the haemopoietic tissues of W/Wv and S1/S1d mice. 1985, 9 (4):491-6 Leuk Res
- The mast cell-committed progenitor. II. W/Wv mice do not make mast cell-committed progenitors and S1/S1d fibroblasts do not support development of normal mast cell-committed progenitors.
- Authors: Jarboe DL, Huff TF
- Issue date: 1989 Apr 1
- Defective support of S1/S1d splenic stroma for humoral regulation of stem cell proliferation.
- Authors: Ploemacher RE, Molendijk WJ, Brons NH, de Ruiter H
- Issue date: 1986 Jan
- Haemopoietic stem cell proliferation in the bone marrow of S1/S1d mice.
- Authors: Wright EG, Lorimore SA
- Issue date: 1987 May
- Reconstitution of the W/Wv stem cell differentiation defect by infection with Rauscher leukemia virus.
- Authors: Merchav S, Wagemaker G, van Bekkum DW
- Issue date: 1985 Aug
- Pluripotent (CFU-S) and granulocyte-committed (CFU-C) stem cells in intact and 89Sr marrow-ablated S1/S1d mice.
- Authors: Adler SS, Trobaugh FE Jr
- Issue date: 1978 Sep