Enrichment of CFU-S proliferation inhibitor-producing cells based on their identification by the monoclonal antibody F4/80.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital & Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, M20 9BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCells capable of synthesizing a factor that can specifically inhibit the proliferation of haemopoietic spleen colony-forming units, CFU-S, carry many of the characteristics of macrophages. The monoclonal antibody, F4/80, which is specific for murine macrophages, has therefore been used to isolate macrophages from bone marrow. These macrophages were then assayed for their ability to produce the inhibitor. Low-density bone marrow cells were first separated by a density-cut procedure and then labelled with F4/80. Fluorescence-activated cell sorting was then used to select F4/80 positive and negative cell fractions. It was found that the F4/80 positive fraction contains inhibitor cells, enriched by at least 200-fold compared to unfractionated marrow. Subsequent culture of this fraction over a period of several weeks produced a further 15- to 20-fold increase in inhibitor-producing capacity. The cultured cells producing inhibitor were virtually 100% F4/80 positive, phagocytic and exhibited histochemical properties characteristic of macrophages. The macrophage-like character of the producer cells was thus confirmed and the removal of the majority of unwanted cells means that many of the impurities in the normal crude extracts have been excluded.
CitationEnrichment of CFU-S proliferation inhibitor-producing cells based on their identification by the monoclonal antibody F4/80. 1985, 78:117-31 J Cell Sci
JournalJournal of Cell Science
- Bulk enrichment of transplantable hemopoietic stem cell subsets from lipopolysaccharide-stimulated murine spleen.
- Authors: Ploemacher RE, Brons RH, Leenen PJ
- Issue date: 1987 Feb
- A protocol for the enrichment of different types of CFU-S from fetal mouse liver.
- Authors: Corso A, Hogeweg-Platenburg MG, De Vries P, Visser JW
- Issue date: 1993 Jan-Feb
- c-kit is expressed by primitive human hematopoietic cells that give rise to colony-forming cells in stroma-dependent or cytokine-supplemented culture.
- Authors: Simmons PJ, Aylett GW, Niutta S, To LB, Juttner CA, Ashman LK
- Issue date: 1994 Feb
- Macrophages in haemopoietic and other tissues of the developing mouse detected by the monoclonal antibody F4/80.
- Authors: Morris L, Graham CF, Gordon S
- Issue date: 1991 Jun
- The effect of recombinant human interleukin-3 and recombinant human granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor on Fc gamma receptor expression and antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity of hematopoietic progenitor cells during in vitro myeloid maturation.
- Authors: Ericson SG, Benoit NE, Mills LE, Fanger MW
- Issue date: 1994 Mar