Methylated purines formed in DNA by dimethylnitrosamine in rats previously exposed to hepatotoxic and hepatocarcinogenic regimes: effects on the repair of O6-methylguanine.
AuthorsCooper, Donald P
Chu, Y H
O'Connor, Peter J
Margison, Geoffrey P
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractStudies of mammalian systems for the repair of O6-methylguanine in DNA have revealed large differences in the capacities of tissues and cells to perform this function and in the case of rat liver it has been shown that the O6-methylguanine repair system can be stimulated by exposure to hepatotoxic and hepatocarcinogenic regimes. In this report an assessment is made of possible relationships between toxic liver injury, DNA synthesis, cell proliferation and DNA repair by treating Wistar rats with agents selected to provide differing degrees of liver involvement. The effects of long-term (20 week) treatments with acetylaminofluorene (15 mg/kg/day), quinoxaline 1,4-dioxide (10 mg/kg/day), 4-aminobiphenyl-HCl (15 mg/kg/day) and pronethalol (20 mg/kg/day) were assessed, using the same strain of animals in which the original toxicity and carcinogenicity data were obtained. Repair of O6-methylguanine produced in liver DNA by a low, non-toxic dose (2 mg/kg) of [14C]dimethylnitrosamine was increased 3-4-fold throughout the period of treatment with acetylaminofluorene, to a lesser extent by quinoxaline 1,4-dioxide and 4-aminophenyl-HCl and not at all in the case of pronethalol. No evidence was obtained to indicate a direct relationship between O6-methylguanine repair and either the induced hepatotoxicity or the ensuing increased rates of DNA synthesis which occur following exposure to these agents.
CitationMethylated purines formed in DNA by dimethylnitrosamine in rats previously exposed to hepatotoxic and hepatocarcinogenic regimes: effects on the repair of O6-methylguanine. 1985, 53 (3):283-301 Chem Biol Interact
- Stability and capacity of dimethylnitrosamine-induced O6-methylguanine repair system in rat liver.
- Authors: Montesano R, Brésil H, Planche-Martel G, Margison GP, Pegg AE
- Issue date: 1983 Dec
- Dimethylnitrosamine-induced structural damage to DNA results from repair of O6-methylguanine rather than repair of 7-methylguanine.
- Authors: Huang PH, Stewart BW
- Issue date: 1978 Sep
- Modulation of repair of O6-methylguanine in parenchymal and nonparenchymal liver cells of rats treated with dimethylnitrosamine.
- Authors: Planche-Martel G, Likhachev A, Wild CP, Montesano R
- Issue date: 1985 Oct
- Enhanced repair of O6-methylguanine in liver DNA of rats pretreated with phenobarbital, 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin, ethionine, or N-alkyl-N-nitrosoureas.
- Authors: Den Engelse L, Floot BG, Menkveld GJ, Tates AD
- Issue date: 1986 Dec
- Increased excision of O6-methylguanine from rat liver DNA after chronic administration of dimethylnitrosamine.
- Authors: Montesano R, Brésil H, Margison GP
- Issue date: 1979 May