The prognostic significance of mediastinal bulk in patients with stage IA-IVB Hodgkin's disease: a report from the Manchester Lymphoma Group.
Jenkins, Jeremy P R
Brigg, David J
Deakin, David P
Palmer, Michael K
Todd, Ian D
AffiliationDepartments of Medical Oncology, Radiology, Radiotherapy and Medical Statistics, Christie Hospital, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThree hundred and two previously untreated patients with Stage IA-IVB Hodgkin's disease were reviewed to determine the prognostic significance of mediastinal involvement. Mediastinal bulk disease was defined as either a maximal mediastinal width of 7.5 cm or more, or a ratio of the maximum width of mediastinal disease to the maximum chest diameter of greater than or equal to 0.33, or a ratio of the maximum width of mediastinal disease to the chest diameter at T5-T6 greater than or equal to 0.33, or as an area of mediastinal disease greater than or equal to 100 cm2. Bulk disease outside the chest was defined as a mass of lymph nodes measuring 5 cm or more in any axis. The presence of mediastinal bulk disease was of adverse prognostic significance for remission duration and survival in patients with Stage IA-IIB Hodgkin's disease, but for patients with more advanced disease the effect of mediastinal bulk on remission duration and survival was not statistically significant. The mediastinal bulk variable which most significantly related to prognosis was the ratio of the maximum mediastinal disease to the chest diameter at T5-T6.
CitationThe prognostic significance of mediastinal bulk in patients with stage IA-IVB Hodgkin's disease: a report from the Manchester Lymphoma Group. 1985, 36 (5):449-54 Clin Radiol
- Stage IA-IIB Hodgkin's disease: management and outcome of extensive thoracic involvement.
- Authors: Hughes-Davies L, Tarbell NJ, Coleman CN, Silver B, Shulman LN, Linggood R, Canellos GP, Mauch PM
- Issue date: 1997 Sep 1
- A randomised study of adjuvant chemotherapy after mantle radiotherapy in supradiaphragmatic Hodgkin's disease PS IA-IIB: a report from the Manchester lymphoma group.
- Authors: Anderson H, Deakin DP, Wagstaff J, Jones JM, Todd ID, Wilkinson PM, James RD, Steward WP, Blackledge G, Scarffe JH
- Issue date: 1984 Jun
- [Prognostic significance of mediastinal involvement and post-therapeutic radiographic changes in the intrathoracic area in Hodgkin's disease].
- Authors: Melínová L, Dienstbier Z, Zámecník J, Hermanská Z, Smakal S, Chytrý P, Maríková E
- Issue date: 1990 Oct 19
- The prognostic influence of mediastinal bulk in pathological stage IIA Hodgkin's disease treated initially with radiotherapy.
- Authors: Schey S, Vaughan Hudson B, Linch DC, Bennett MH, MacLennan KA, Jelliffe AM, Vaughan Hudson G
- Issue date: 1989 Sep
- The significance of residual mediastinal abnormality on the chest radiograph following treatment for Hodgkin's disease.
- Authors: Radford JA, Cowan RA, Flanagan M, Dunn G, Crowther D, Johnson RJ, Eddleston B
- Issue date: 1988 Jun